Calculating the change of the volume of a sphere using this integral

• I
  • Thread starter cppIStough
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Liquid
cppIStough
I have a spherical cap of liquid (drop) that rests on a substrate. The substrate has a small hole at the base where liquid is pumped into the drop. One way to parameterize the spherical cap is via: $$x = \sin(s)\cos\phi/\sin\alpha, \,\,\,y= \sin(s)\sin\phi/\sin\alpha,\,\,\,z=(\cos(s)-\cos\alpha)/\sin\alpha$$ where here ##\alpha## is the angle the spherical cap makes with the x-y plane, and ##\phi \in [0,2\pi]## and ##s\in[0,\alpha]##.

Now ##\eta## is a small disturbance to the drop. The author then states the volume change can be written as $$\Delta V = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\cos\alpha}^1 R^2 \eta d(\cos(s))d\phi$$

Can someone explain the math behind that integral? I understand the ##\phi## integral, but the inside integral I can't make sense of. For help, here's a sketch:
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.06.10 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a straightforward use of spherical polar coordinates [itex](r, s, \phi)[/itex]:
[tex]\begin{split}
\Delta V &= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\alpha} \int_R^{R + \eta} r^2\sin s\,dr\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\alpha \frac13\left( (R + \eta)^3 - R^3 \right) \sin s\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{\cos \alpha}^1 \frac13\left( 3R^2\eta + 3R\eta^2 + \eta^3\right)\,d(\cos s)\,d\phi.
\end{split}[/tex] Since [itex]\eta[/itex] is a small perturbation, only the term [itex]\frac13 (3R^2\eta)[/itex] is retained.

Likes DeBangis21 and cppIStough
pasmith said:
This is a straightforward use of spherical polar coordinates [itex](r, s, \phi)[/itex]:
[tex]\begin{split}
\Delta V &= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\alpha} \int_R^{R + \eta} r^2\sin s\,dr\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\alpha \frac13\left( (R + \eta)^3 - R^3 \right) \sin s\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{\cos \alpha}^1 \frac13\left( 3R^2\eta + 3R\eta^2 + \eta^3\right)\,d(\cos s)\,d\phi.
\end{split}[/tex] Since [itex]\eta[/itex] is a small perturbation, only the term [itex]\frac13 (3R^2\eta)[/itex] is retained.
This is great! What made you think to integrate from ##R## to ##R + \eta##? Becasue ##\eta## is deviation from equilibrium, so for me it wasn't obvious that it implies a change in volume.

EDIT: except now I look at the form and it's a function of ##t## which of course means it grows. Thanks so much!

If the position of the surface of the drop changes, then the volume enclosed by it will also change.