Calculating the fall of the moon in one second

• Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Moon
In summary: The SummaryThe moon falls 1 second in one second due to the gravitational pull of the Earth. This assumption is not too significant and can be treated as a straight line.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

If I know only the circumference of the orbit of the moon, and the time it takes to make an orbit (29 days), how far does the moon fall in one second?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm failing to understand how certain assumptions can be made in the geometry here. From Figure 1 of this link;

http://www.michaelbeeson.com/interests/GreatMoments/Newton.pdf

It appears that the straight line the moon's tangential trajectory [itex] x [/itex], plus the vertical displacement by gravity [itex] s [/itex] would meet at the exact path of the Moon's actual orbit in one second, point [itex] B [/itex]. Normally this wouldn't be the case, but I guess it's indicating it's okay to make this assumption because we're only talking about 1 second of a 29-day orbit. But then again, how can I be sure this assumption won't affect my end result, considering my end result is also going to be VERY small (1/20 of an inch)? It seems like it should only be okay to make this assumption, about the perpendicularity, as long what I was calculating wasn't also very small.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that depends on the accuracy you require on your small estimate. If you want a tolerance within 1% of you estimate, i.e. .05 +/- .0005, then maybe you should not make the assumption. However, for most practical purposes, and looking at the precision of the other constants used in the calculation, you should be fine with this simplification.

Also, you can look at the portion of the arc traversed in the time, 1sec is 2pi/2505600 radians of the orbit. This should be small enough to treat this section of the arc as a straight line.

You might want to look at the moons sidereal orbit time (about 27.3 days), not the synodic time as you have, also don't forget the Earth and moon orbit each other around a common point (barycentre)

Heres the word data sheet on two body systems attached

Attachments

• 2 body data sheet.docx
    83 KB · Views: 156

Related to Calculating the fall of the moon in one second

1. How is the fall of the moon in one second calculated?

The fall of the moon in one second is calculated using the formula for acceleration due to gravity (g) which is 9.8 m/s^2. This means that the moon falls 9.8 meters in one second.

2. Why is it important to calculate the fall of the moon in one second?

Calculating the fall of the moon in one second helps us understand the gravitational pull of the Earth and its effect on the moon. It also helps us make predictions about the moon's movement and position in the sky.

3. Can the fall of the moon in one second change?

Yes, the fall of the moon in one second can change depending on the distance between the Earth and the moon. As the moon gets closer to the Earth, the acceleration due to gravity increases, resulting in a faster fall in one second.

4. How is the fall of the moon in one second related to the moon's orbit?

The fall of the moon in one second is related to the moon's orbit because it is a result of the gravitational force between the Earth and the moon. The moon's orbit is a balance between the gravitational pull of the Earth and the moon's momentum, which keeps it in a constant fall around the Earth.

5. Can the fall of the moon in one second be measured accurately?

Yes, the fall of the moon in one second can be measured accurately using advanced instruments and calculations. However, factors such as the moon's distance from the Earth and its changing orbit can affect the accuracy of the measurement.