Calculating the maximum shear stress in a shaft

In summary, the conversation was about solving a question involving torque and shear stress. The person initially used the wrong method to calculate the solution, but then realized their mistake and wanted to clarify what the shear stress obtained through their incorrect method referred to. They were advised to study a tutorial on the topic and come back if they still had difficulties.
influx

Homework Statement

db7842.png

Homework Equations

Torque = Force x Distance
Shear stress = Force/Area

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know how to do this question as I've seen the mark scheme. However, initially I did it wrong. What I did was as follows:

Torque = Force x Distance
therefore Torque/Distance = Force
therefore Force = 200/(50/100) = 400 N

Then I used Shear stress = Force/Area and plugged in the value of 400N and that of the area to find the shear stress.

As I said, I know that this is not the way to calculate the answer to this question.
However, I want to know, what shear stress does the shear stress obtained via this method actually refer to? As in, when I did the force (that I found via T=Fr) divided by the area of the shaft, I got a value for shear stress, what is this value referring to? The shear stress at the end of the shaft? Or?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Calculating the maximum shear stress in a shaft

What is maximum shear stress in a shaft?

Maximum shear stress in a shaft is the maximum amount of shear stress that a shaft can withstand before it fails. It is an important factor to consider in the design and analysis of shafts, as exceeding the maximum shear stress can lead to structural failure.

How is maximum shear stress calculated in a shaft?

The maximum shear stress in a shaft can be calculated by dividing the maximum shear force applied to the shaft by the cross-sectional area of the shaft. This is known as the shear stress formula: τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the shaft.

What factors affect maximum shear stress in a shaft?

The maximum shear stress in a shaft is affected by the material properties of the shaft such as its yield strength and shear modulus, the geometry of the shaft such as its cross-sectional area and length, and the magnitude and direction of the applied forces on the shaft.

How is maximum shear stress different from maximum bending stress in a shaft?

Maximum shear stress and maximum bending stress are two different types of stress that can occur in a shaft. Maximum shear stress is caused by a parallel force applied to the shaft, while maximum bending stress is caused by a perpendicular force. Both types of stress can lead to failure in a shaft, but they have different formulas and must be considered separately in the design process.

What are some common methods for reducing maximum shear stress in a shaft?

Some common methods for reducing maximum shear stress in a shaft include increasing the diameter of the shaft, using materials with higher yield strength and shear modulus, and utilizing support structures such as bearings or couplings to distribute the applied forces more evenly.