Calculating Volume with Volumes of Revolution: Triangle Rotated about x = -2

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the volume obtained by rotating a triangle bounded by y = 0, y = x, and y = 2 - x about the line x = -2 using either horizontal or vertical rectangles. The attempt at a solution involves setting up two integrals, one from 0-1 and the other from 1-2, and using the shell method to determine the volume. The conversation also addresses potential errors and mistakes in evaluating the integrals.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume obtained by rotating the triangle bounded by y = 0, y = x, and y = 2 - x, about the line x = -2. You may use either horizontal or vertical rectangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

So since this is a triangle, I tried to split up the volume down to two integrals, one from 0 - 1, and the other from 1-2. I used vertical rectangles by the way. So I set up my first integral as

[itex]2 \cdot \pi \int_{0}^{1} (x+2)(x) \,dx[/itex]
since the shell radius would be a distance x + another 2, and then the shell height would be the x.
My second integral is

[itex]2 \cdot \pi \int_{1}^{2} (x+2)(2-x) \,dx[/itex]

then I added these together, but I did not get the correct answer, could anyone show me what the error in my steps are?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am issing 2). relevant equations. Where did you get the idea to set up the integrals as you did ?
Did you make a drawing to see if you want to integrate over dx or over dy ?

[edit]Ok, you are using vertical shells. What is their height ? x seems strange: in my drawing height decreases with x.

[edit][edit]vertical shells require bounds in x, not in y.

y=x is the first height,no? from 0-1 if not, then what is it

Ah, I see. You want to integrate over x (i.e. horizontal rings), the bounds are x=0 at the lower en x=x at the upper end , so the height is x for the first integral. And also for the second integral.

Or do you want to use vertical rings and integrate over x ? x does not exceed 1, right ?

Can you show your drawing ?

I vertical cylinders, I don't think you can have vertical rings. You can have horizontal rings. Here is the graph
105v0b8.jpg

Last edited:
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume obtained by rotating the triangle bounded by y = 0, y = x, and y = 2 - x, about the line x = -2. You may use either horizontal or vertical rectangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

So since this is a triangle, I tried to split up the volume down to two integrals, one from 0 - 1, and the other from 1-2. I used vertical rectangles by the way. So I set up my first integral as

[itex]2 \cdot \pi \int_{0}^{1} (x+2)(x) \,dx[/itex]
since the shell radius would be a distance x + another 2, and then the shell height would be the x.
My second integral is

[itex]2 \cdot \pi \int_{1}^{2} (x+2)(2-x) \,dx[/itex]

then I added these together, but I did not get the correct answer, could anyone show me what the error in my steps are?

Your integrals are set up correctly. You must have some mistake in your evaluating them.

Likes 1 person
Yea, I think I did miss a factor of (1/3) somewhere when I solved my integral. Thanks for the help!

Oh boy, my mistake: I revolved around x= -2 and had line x=0 as boundary instead of y=0. Scuse me! Eating humble pie. At least it explains why communicating was difficult.

And yes, integrals are set up correctly -- from the start :redface:.

Related to Calculating Volume with Volumes of Revolution: Triangle Rotated about x = -2

1. What is a volume of revolution?

A volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. This can be visualized as a solid object formed by sweeping out the area under a curve or surface.

2. How are volumes of revolution calculated?

The volume of revolution can be calculated using a technique called integration. This involves dividing the shape into infinitesimally small slices and summing their volumes using a specific formula. The resulting integral will give the exact volume of the shape.

3. What are some common examples of volumes of revolution?

Some common examples of volumes of revolution include spheres, cylinders, cones, and tori (donuts). These shapes can be created by rotating a circle, rectangle, or ellipse around an axis.

4. What is the significance of volumes of revolution in science?

Volumes of revolution are important in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze real-world objects and phenomena, such as the volume of water in a tank, the shape of a planet, or the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How are volumes of revolution related to calculus?

Volumes of revolution are closely related to the branch of mathematics called calculus, specifically the concepts of integration and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Calculus allows us to find the exact volume of a three-dimensional shape, which would be impossible using traditional geometry methods.