Calculating Wave Frequency for Boat Moving Westward

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of ocean waves hitting the front of a boat moving at a speed of 1 m/s. The waves themselves are traveling to the east at a speed of 4 m/s with a distance of 20 m between crests. The waves' speed relative to the boat is 5 m/s.
tommyhakinen

Homework Statement

Ocean waves traveling to the east at speed of 4 m/s. the distance between the crests is 20 m. With what frequency do the waves hit the front of a boat moving westward at a speed of 1 m/s?

2. The attempt at a solution
Does the speed of the wave is added or subtracted from the speed of boat?

Physics news on Phys.org
tommyhakinen said:
Does the speed of the wave is added or subtracted from the speed of boat?
You're traveling down the road in a car at 30mph, your mate is following in his car and is also traveling at 30mph. What is his speed relative to you?

Now, imagine the same scenario, but this time your mate is driving towards you. Will his speed appear faster or slower to you?

in that case, it does not seems to move for me. am i right?
I see.. so, the answer is faster. am i right?
thank you very much..

tommyhakinen said:
in that case, it does not seems to move for me. am i right?
I see.. so, the answer is faster. am i right?
thank you very much..
Correct, so if something is moving towards you do you add or subtract the objects speed from yours?

i would add it to my speed. so if let say i am not moving, and the object is moving towards me with 1 m/s, it's speed appears to be 1 m/s to me as i am not moving. right?

tommyhakinen said:
i would add it to my speed. so if let say i am not moving, and the object is moving towards me with 1 m/s, it's speed appears to be 1 m/s to me as i am not moving. right?
Correct.

So if you are moving at 1m/s and the waves are traveling towards you at 4m/s, what is the waves' speed relative to you?

5m/s..

tommyhakinen said:
5m/s..
Spot on :approve:

Related to Calculating Wave Frequency for Boat Moving Westward

1. How do you calculate the wave frequency for a boat moving westward?

The wave frequency for a boat moving westward can be calculated by dividing the boat's speed (in meters per second) by the wavelength (in meters).

2. What is the formula for calculating wave frequency for a boat moving westward?

The formula for calculating wave frequency for a boat moving westward is f = v / λ, where f is the wave frequency, v is the boat's speed, and λ is the wavelength.

3. Can the wave frequency for a boat moving westward change?

Yes, the wave frequency for a boat moving westward can change depending on the boat's speed and the wavelength of the waves. As the boat's speed increases, the wave frequency will also increase.

4. What is the unit of measurement for wave frequency?

The unit of measurement for wave frequency is hertz (Hz). This represents the number of waves passing through a given point per second.

5. How does the direction of the boat's movement affect the wave frequency?

The direction of the boat's movement does not directly affect the wave frequency. However, the boat's speed and the wavelength of the waves can affect the wave frequency, which in turn can be influenced by the direction of the boat's movement.