Calculation of Thomas Precession in Rindler's relativity book

• Thread starter NoobieDoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, you are trying to work through rindler's relativity book but got stuck at a simple approximation. You found the same answer using the same trig identity as Rindler but your result does not match his. You think you might be doing a trivial calculation mistake.
NoobieDoobie
Homework Statement
A problem from Rindller's relativity book (Check below)
Relevant Equations
Lorentz Transformations
I am trying to work through rindler's relativity book. However, I got stuck at what I think should be a simple approximation.

1689499823333.png

I calculated the angles ##\theta## and ##\theta''## using the formula for velocity transformation. If I simply expand ##\gamma(v)## and ##\gamma(v')## using taylor series and calculate ##tan(\theta'')-tan(\theta) = \frac{v'}{2vc^2}(v^2+v'^2)##. First term of this formula is precisely the answer. However, I would have to calculate ## tan(\theta''-\theta)##, invert the equation and approximate again. This doesn't seem to be what rindler wants us to do though. There must be a simpler way to derive the formula. What am I doing wrong?

Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
NoobieDoobie said:
Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.

TSny said:
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.

Likes TSny
NoobieDoobie said:
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!

Likes PhDeezNutz and NoobieDoobie
TSny said:
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

NoobieDoobie said:
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

Here's an outline of my calculation, which might not be the best.

We know ##\tan \theta'' = \large \frac{\beta \,' \gamma'}{\beta}## and ##\tan \theta = \large \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta \gamma }##.

Here, ##\gamma = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}## and ##\gamma' = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta \,'^2}}##.

The tangent function trig identity is then $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta} \frac {\gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma}}{1+(\frac{\beta \,'^2}{\beta^2})\frac{\gamma'}{\gamma}} = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\beta^2\gamma + \beta \,'^2 \gamma'}$$
It's easy to show ##\beta^2 \gamma = \gamma - \frac 1 {\gamma}## and ##\beta \,'^2 \gamma' = \gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma'}##.

So, $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\gamma - 1/\gamma + \gamma' - 1/\gamma'}$$
Simplify.

Likes NoobieDoobie
When I had tried it, I first stared at the expression for ##\tan(\omega)## and concluded there's no way it can be as simple as the answer we're looking for. Now I understand why faith plays an important role.

Thanks for the help!

Likes TSny