Calculation of Titration problems - Should be Easy?

In summary, the first problem involves calculating the volume of 0.100 M H3PO4 needed to neutralize 30.0 mL of 0.050 M solution. The second problem involves finding the molar mass of a diprotic solid acid that requires 44.81 mL of 0.0953 M NaOH for neutralization.
τheory

Homework Statement

1. Calculate the volume (mL) of 0.100 M H3PO4 required to neutralize 30.0 mL of 0.050 M

2. If 0.2178 g of a diprotic solid acid is neutralized by 44.81 mL of 0.0953 M NaOH, calculate the molar mass of the solid acid.

Homework Equations

Molar Mass = Mass/Moles
Concentration = Moles/Volume(mL)
Neutralization --> Moles of H+ = Moles of OH-

The Attempt at a Solution

First Problem
For this problem, I've already done work to arrive to my answer, I just require someone else's opinion on whether it is right or not. I also felt lazy to type out the work for this one, since this problem is not that important and is easier compared to the second one (which is why I showed work for the second problem and not this one, hopefully you guys understand).

The volume I derived from the problem was that you needed 10 mL of H3PO4; is this correct?

Second Problem

For the second problem, I will show work:

44.81 mL x 0.0953 M = 4.27 moles of NaOH = 4.27 moles of OH-

4.27 moles of OH- imply that you need 4.27 moles of H+ for neutralization

Because the solid acid is diprotic, that means there are two acidic hydogens, which means the chemical formula for the acid is H2X, X being the remaining part of the acid's formula.

To get 4.27 moles of H+, then you would need (4.27/2), or 2.14 moles of H2X?

Since there was 0.2178 g of the diprotic solid acid, then the molar mass would be mass/moles, or 0.2178 g/ 2.14 moles = 0.101 g/mol

At this point, I got confused because the molar mass was so small; can anyone confirm whether or not this is truly the right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
τheory said:
1. Calculate the volume (mL) of 0.100 M H3PO4 required to neutralize 30.0 mL of 0.050 M

Of what? Your answer can be right, can be wrong, impossible to tell.

44.81 mL x 0.0953 M = 4.27 moles of NaOH = 4.27 moles of OH-

Your approach is correct in general, but 44.81 mL of this solution doesn't contain 4.27 moles.

Oh I see, I completely missed the point where molarity is moles/volume(L) and not mL. This gave me, for the first problem, 10 mL still and for the second problem, 102 g/mol.

Related to Calculation of Titration problems - Should be Easy?

1. What is the purpose of titration in chemistry?

Titration is a common laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution of known concentration. It is used to find the unknown concentration of a substance in a sample and is commonly used in acid-base reactions, redox reactions, and other chemical analyses.

2. How do you calculate the end point of a titration?

The end point of a titration is the point at which the reaction between the two solutions is complete. This is determined by adding an indicator to the solution, which changes color when the reaction is complete. The amount of known solution added to reach the end point is then used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

3. What is the difference between titrant and analyte in titration?

The titrant is the solution of known concentration that is added to the unknown solution during a titration. The analyte is the substance or solution being analyzed, which has an unknown concentration. The titrant reacts with the analyte in a known ratio to determine the concentration of the analyte.

4. How do you calculate the concentration of an unknown solution using titration?

To calculate the concentration of an unknown solution using titration, you need to know the volume of known solution added to reach the end point, the concentration of the known solution, and the reaction ratio between the two solutions. The concentration of the unknown solution can then be calculated using the formula: concentration of unknown solution = (volume of known solution * concentration of known solution) / volume of unknown solution.

5. What are some common sources of error in titration experiments?

Some common sources of error in titration experiments include inaccurate measurements of volume or concentration of solutions, lack of precision in adding the titrant, and the presence of impurities in the solutions. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and use high-quality equipment to minimize these sources of error.