Calculus theorem/proof my teacher posted -- Not sure what it is....

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of understanding partitions in calculus. It is stated that adding points to a partition can raise the lower sum and decrease the upper sum. The example given is for the function f(x) = x^2 on the interval [0, 2]. When comparing the partitions P = {0, 1, 2} and P* = {0, 1, 1.5, 2}, it is seen that P* has one additional element. The values for L_f(P), L_f(P*), U_f(P*), and U_f(P) are not given, but for the given function and interval, L_f(P) = 0, L_f(P*) =
Niaboc67
My teacher mentioned this was a very important thing to know in calculus, he didn't explain too much about it but tried to emphasize how important is it.

If $$P=\{a,x,...,x_{k-1},x_{k},...,x_{n}=b\} , P^*=\{a,x,...,x_{k-1},x^*_{k},x_{k},...,x_{n}=b\}$$
Then, $$L_{f}(P)≤L_{f}(P^*)≤U_{f}(P^*)≤U_{f}(P) $$

"So adding pts to partition to get P* raises lower sum & decreases upper sum"Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure it's particularly important. It's also fairly obvious.

Niaboc67 said:
My teacher mentioned this was a very important thing to know in calculus, he didn't explain too much about it but tried to emphasize how important is it.

If $$P=\{a,x,...,x_{k-1},x_{k},...,x_{n}=b\} , P^*=\{a,x,...,x_{k-1},x^*_{k},x_{k},...,x_{n}=b\}$$
Then, $$L_{f}(P)≤L_{f}(P^*)≤U_{f}(P^*)≤U_{f}(P) $$

"So adding pts to partition to get P* raises lower sum & decreases upper sum"Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Moved this post to the technical math sections, as it doesn't appear to be homework. (Aside: @Niaboc67, you do realize that when you post in the HW sections, you have to use the template?)

Let's look at this with a specific example.
##f(x) = x^2## on the interval [0, 2]
P = {0, 1, 2}, and P* = {0, 1, 1.5, 2}
The difference between P and P* is that P* has one more element.
What are ##L_f(P), L_f(P^*), U_f(P^*)##, and ##U_f(P)##?

Related to Calculus theorem/proof my teacher posted -- Not sure what it is....

1. What is a calculus theorem?

A calculus theorem is a mathematical statement that has been proven to be true using the principles and techniques of calculus. It is a fundamental concept in the study of calculus and is used to explain and predict the behavior of functions and their derivatives.

2. How are calculus theorems proven?

Calculus theorems are proven using deductive reasoning, which involves starting with a set of known facts and using logical steps to arrive at a conclusion. This process may involve using definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems to reach the desired result.

3. What is the importance of calculus theorems?

Calculus theorems are essential in the study of calculus as they provide a solid foundation for understanding and applying the concepts and principles of the subject. They also serve as a basis for solving complex problems and developing new mathematical techniques.

4. Can calculus theorems be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, calculus theorems have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, growth rates, and optimization problems.

5. How can I understand and remember calculus theorems better?

To better understand and remember calculus theorems, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the theorems to different scenarios. It may also be helpful to break down the theorems into smaller parts and understand the underlying concepts and assumptions. Additionally, seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor can also aid in understanding and remembering calculus theorems.