Can a Computer Program Really Teach You Anything You Want to Learn?

• Thread starter DartomicTech
  • Start date
In summary, a computer program can be a valuable tool for learning, but it cannot replace the guidance and experience of a human teacher. While programs can provide information and practice exercises, they lack the ability to adapt to individual learning styles and offer personalized feedback. Additionally, some subjects, such as creativity and critical thinking, require human interaction and cannot be effectively taught solely through a computer program.
DartomicTech
How did you find PF?
I found PF while I was searching for a book on google on day. A forum thread came up in the search results.
Hey everyone.

I joined the site because I have a question that I will not ask here, and also because I have a genuine interest in physics. I have only used books to learn mathematics, and have never taken a mathematics course.

I wrote a computer program in C# that teaches me almost anything that I want to learn.
I don't use it for learning anything dealing with computer programming. I currently only use it to learn mathematics. It calculates the forgetting curve, and calculates the intervals to space the repetitions of study rehearsals for each item that I study. It does not use the forgetting curves for anything, but it does calculate them.

If anyone is interested, then here is the program:

https://www.github.com/Dartomic/GlideCLI

I found that the calculation for easiness factor in this research article, https://github.com/Dartomic/GlideCLI/blob/master/easinessFactor.pdf, is the incorrect formula to use for the calculation of difficulty. I wrote the correct way to do it in my program, and it is calculated in a function called TopicDifficulty, which starts at line 675 on this page: here. I explain the logic of the calculation, and why the easiness factor paper is incorrect here: https://github.com/Dartomic/GlideCLI/blob/master/Manual.pdf My program is more precise than Anki, and SuperMemo. I was not aware of either of those programs when I started writing GlideCLI.

I'll be re-writing this in the C language once I get around to it.

I am currently re-learning Calculus and Analytical Geometry.
I learned this about 4 years ago, but I forgot a lot of it from lack of use, so I've been using my program to relearn everything. I'm hoping that I can get a job as a math tutor once I'm finished with the book again.

I do not know physics, and I have never taken a physics class.
But I did read Albert Einstein's theories of relativity. The thought experiments were a lot of fun. I would like to learn a lot of physics. I want to write computer programs that deal with physics.

I hope my introduction was not too boring.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely not boring. Welcome to PF! :smile:

Likes DartomicTech
berkeman said:
Definitely not boring. Welcome to PF! :smile:
Thanks!