Can a Layman Master Astrophysics and Relativity?

• Thread starter MikeeMiracle
  • Start date
In summary, exploring astrophysics and relativity can be an exciting and enlightening journey for anyone, regardless of their background or expertise in the subject. It involves understanding the laws of physics that govern the vast expanse of our universe and how they relate to the concept of relativity, which explains the effects of gravity and motion on space and time. By delving into these complex concepts, one can gain a deeper appreciation for the mysteries of the cosmos and our place within it. Through accessible language and engaging examples, a layman can embark on a journey to explore the wonders of astrophysics and relativity.
MikeeMiracle
Hi all

Not a totally new member but i have not done an intro before. I am a layman compared to everyne here who has a keen interest in physics but no official study past high school.

I am mainly doing one now after several active months on the forums to thank everyone. I am learning so much from browsing these forums and of course being corrected on many misconceptions. It's humbling to see that no matter how much you think you know you are still only scratching the surface of accepted scientific knowledge.

My main interests are Astrophysics and Relativity.

Thanks

Mike

Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
I am learning so much from browsing these forums and of course being corrected on many misconceptions. It's humbling to see that no matter how much you think you know you are still only scratching the surface of accepted scientific knowledge.
Welcome to the forum, Mike. I feel exactly the same way on all of your points.

Another few sources to consider are:
- khan Academy courses on physics and math
- openstax.org textbooks on physics and HS / College math

For more causal study there are many good Youtube channels including:
- Veritaseum
- MinutePhysics
- PhysicsGirl
- SmarterEveryDay
- PBS Spacetime
- Numberphile for math

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
Already following PBS Spacestime & Veritaseum on youtube, will check out the others thanks.

The Kahn Academy stuff looks worth investgating.