Can a Non-Converging Bounded Sequence Have Subsequences with Distinct Limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the existence of at least two convergent subsequences with distinct limits for a bounded sequence that does not converge. The proof involves using the Weierstrass Theorem and repeatedly finding convergent subsequences until all possible subsequences have been exhausted. The argument is then made that at least one of these subsequences must have a different limit than the original subsequence, proving the initial statement. Additionally, it is mentioned that a similar process was used to prove the nested interval theorem. There is also a suggestion to use the contrapositive and the concepts of limsup and liminf to simplify the proof.
Icebreaker
"If X is a bounded sequence that does not converge, prove that there exists at least two subsequences of X that converge to two distinct limits."

There is a what I like to call "mass produced" version of the proof with limsup and liminf (which actually tells you where the two subsequences converge to, but it is not necessary). But I didn't want to use that so I did it another way. Can someone tell me if the following reasoning is right? I won't write out the exact proof because latex would kill me; I'll just briefly explain the logic of my proof:

The Weierstrass Theorem tells us that a bounded sequence has at least one subsequence which is convergent. X has such a subsequence, which we shall denote k. Let k' be the terms that are NOT in k. k' is a bounded subsequence, and therefore is also a sequence. k' therefore has a subsequence which is convergent, which we will denote u. If u converges to some number different from that of k, then the proof is complete. If u does converge to the same number as k, then take the terms in k' that are NOT u, and let i denote that subsequence.

Basically, this process can be repeated until we've exhausted all possible subsequences. The argument now is that they cannot ALL converge to the same limit, because that would contradict the hypothesis that X is divergent. Therefore, at least ONE of those subsequences must converge to some other number than that of k.

There may seem to be some handwaving back there but the jest of it is there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? A similar process was used to prove the nested interval theorem, if I'm not mistaken.

i think proving the contrapositive would be easier. use limsup & liminf & get a convergent sequence, which is of course also bounded.

Related to Can a Non-Converging Bounded Sequence Have Subsequences with Distinct Limits?

1. What is the definition of proving the contrapositive?

Proving the contrapositive is a method of mathematical proof that involves showing that if the negation of a statement is true, then the original statement must also be true.

2. Why is proving the contrapositive useful?

Proving the contrapositive can be useful in mathematical and scientific proofs because it allows for a simpler and more direct approach to proving a statement. It can also help to uncover hidden assumptions or implications in a statement.

3. How is proving the contrapositive different from other methods of proof?

Unlike other methods of proof, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, proving the contrapositive requires showing the truth of the negation of a statement in order to prove the original statement. This can sometimes be a more intuitive and straightforward approach.

4. Can proving the contrapositive be used to prove all statements?

No, proving the contrapositive can only be used to prove statements that have the form "if A, then B". It cannot be used to prove statements that do not follow this structure.

5. Are there any limitations to proving the contrapositive?

One limitation of proving the contrapositive is that it may not be applicable in all situations. It is important to consider other methods of proof and choose the most appropriate one for a given statement or problem.