Can a Nuclear Detonation be Channeled?

In summary, the person admits to having no formal qualifications in science but is very interested in various topics and eager to learn. They ask if a nuclear detonation could be used for space flight propulsion and expand on their idea of channeling the explosion through magnetically charged tubes. However, the idea is not feasible due to the high pressures and temperatures produced by the explosion. They mention the concept of Project Orion, which involves a nuclear explosion near a pusher plate, and mention a sci-fi movie where a similar concept is used. They wonder if it could be possible in reality, but personal theories and speculation are not allowed in technical forums.
STC4476
I admit before even posting, that i have no formal qualifications at all regarding any form of Science.. I am just a person with a very keen interest in various fields and eager to learn the answers!

Im aware that this question might have been answered elsewhere, but my Question is Simple: Can a Nuclear Detonation be Channeled for the Purposes of Space flight Propulsion?

If i may expand on the idea i had in my head.. The idea was to "Channel" the detonation through a series of Magnetically charged tubes to "Vent" the Heat discharge (forgive the wrong terminology) via a thruster.
The thought i have, is that albeit it being temporary.. it would generate enough thrust to maneuver a decent sized ship.

If this would not stand, may i ask someone to explain to me why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
STC4476 said:
If this would not stand, may i ask someone to explain to me why?
An explosion produces high pressures, and most structural materials cannot withstand the high pressures (forces/stresses) of a nuclear explosion at temperature.

Project Orion involves a nuclear explosion near a giant pusher plate, so it is not 'channeled'.

Last edited:
Im very aware of Project Orion, and very sad that the US government did not further the trials..

I remember reading somewhere on a Different Thread, that the Possibility of some kind of Magnetic field could possibly assist in the theory i have.
Im aware that the tubes would also require significant cooling as well, so to many the power required would be more than it's worth at the end result.
I just wondered if it would be Possible.

In the Sci - Fi Movie sense (Yes, Hollywood does have a way of oddly Inspiring dreams and very out - of - reach theories)
If people remember Star trek: First Contact, the person responsible for conceiving the Warp Drive - Zephram Cochrane. He Built his Ship out of a intact ICBM
and successfully achieved the dream through exactly this.

The "Warp Bubble" was a kind of Magnetic Umbrella (this is my Analogy of the theory)

I guess that it is very out of reach to obtain that kind of achievement so far with our Current technologies, But again just wondered if it could be Possible...

STC4476 said:
In the Sci - Fi Movie sense (Yes, Hollywood does have a way of oddly Inspiring dreams and very out - of - reach theories)
If people remember Star trek: First Contact, the person responsible for conceiving the Warp Drive - Zephram Cochrane. He Built his Ship out of a intact ICBM
and successfully achieved the dream through exactly this.

The "Warp Bubble" was a kind of Magnetic Umbrella (this is my Analogy of the theory)
We discuss mainstream science in the technical forums of the PF. We do not allow personal theories or speculation in our technical forums.

Related to Can a Nuclear Detonation be Channeled?

1. Can a nuclear detonation be channeled into a specific direction or area?

Yes, it is possible to channel a nuclear detonation into a specific direction or area. This is achieved through the use of specialized equipment, such as reflectors and shaped charges, which can redirect the explosive force of the nuclear blast.

2. Is it possible to control the strength of a nuclear detonation?

No, the strength of a nuclear detonation cannot be controlled. The amount of energy released in a nuclear explosion is determined by the size and type of nuclear device used. However, the direction and focus of the explosion can be controlled to some extent.

3. Can a nuclear detonation be stopped or reversed?

No, once a nuclear detonation has occurred, it cannot be stopped or reversed. The only way to prevent a nuclear detonation is to prevent the initial chain reaction from taking place.

4. Is it possible to predict the exact location and impact of a nuclear detonation?

While scientists can calculate the potential effects of a nuclear detonation, it is not possible to predict the exact location and impact of a nuclear explosion. Factors such as weather conditions and terrain can greatly affect the spread of radiation and damage caused by a nuclear blast.

5. Are there any potential risks or consequences associated with channeling a nuclear detonation?

Yes, there are potential risks and consequences associated with channeling a nuclear detonation. Redirecting the explosive force of a nuclear blast can cause unintended damage and may also result in a more concentrated and intense explosion in the targeted area.