Can a Smaller, More Powerful Microwave Source Replace Triode Amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a small and powerful microwave source, with a power output in the megawatt range. The speaker had previous experience with triodes and thyratron tubes but needed a more efficient design. The idea of using microwaves to eliminate a large ant nest was also discussed, but ultimately deemed impractical for the required specifications.
theobserver
I have been working with a large number of triodes amplifiers in parallel pulesed by a large thyratron tube. Earlier, many of the triodes decided to arc and melt. The amplifier was huge and I need to replace it. I need a design for a microwave source that is small and more powerful (megawatts).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to build a megawatt microwave generator? Really? You have access to a megawatt power source and have the required permits? I find myself highly skeptical.

Working on it, the last one wasn't megawatts, it was in the kilowatt range. I have seen older russian magnetrons that are pulsed and approach one megawatt for radar systems, but the pulse is too long. Same problem with the newer systems. I need the pulse to be a single cycle long at 10-11.5 GHz. This will probably never be built because of the size of most devices that would approach that high of an output.

Whilst trying to wipe out a particularly large ant nest a few summers ago, I had a whimsical thought about microwaving the whole nest with just such a beast (even if you didn't microwave the actual ants, I thought that the steam generated would at least autoclave the nest).

Actually, a regular microwave would probably be better since it's probably more about the energy delivered, rather than the power.

Funny thought lol :P

That wouldn't work, it isn't nearly enough, wrong frequency, ant the pulses must be only half to one cycle long each. It is a challenge.

Closing thread as discussion of dangerous activity.

Related to Can a Smaller, More Powerful Microwave Source Replace Triode Amplifiers?

1. What is a high power microwave source?

A high power microwave source is a device that generates and emits microwaves at a high power level, typically in the range of kilowatts to megawatts. This can be achieved through various methods such as electron beams, magnetrons, klystrons, and solid-state devices.

2. What are the applications of high power microwave sources?

High power microwave sources have a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, radar systems, medical treatments, and industrial processes. They can also be used for research and development purposes in fields such as plasma physics and material processing.

3. How does a high power microwave source work?

A high power microwave source works by converting electrical energy into high frequency electromagnetic waves, typically in the microwave range. This is achieved through the interaction of electrons with a resonant cavity or other components, depending on the type of source.

4. What are the advantages of using high power microwave sources?

There are several advantages of using high power microwave sources, including their ability to produce high power levels in a compact size, their fast response time, and their versatility in terms of frequency and power output. They also have low maintenance requirements and can be easily controlled and adjusted.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with high power microwave sources?

Working with high power microwave sources can be dangerous and proper safety precautions should always be taken. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper grounding and shielding, and following strict operating procedures. It is important to be trained and knowledgeable in handling high power microwave sources before using them.