Can anyone tell me the real names of these 3D shapes?

• MHB
  • Thread starter goldieluxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Shapes
In summary: They 'look' different, but it is nowhere specified in the original diagram by OP that all angles are right angles and 4 faces are rectangular. Since it is not specified, cuboid is the most appropriate name for the shape. In a case that it had been specified, it could have been called as rectangular cuboid.
goldieluxe
I know cylinder, cone and cube, but can't think of the names for the last two. I know this is a very basic question that I should know...but I am blanking. View attachment 6204

Attachments

• 15102173_1175921485833403_1783598298_o (1).jpg
    15102173_1175921485833403_1783598298_o (1).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 88
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The last two are prisms, a rectangular prism and a right triangular prism.

Second last one is precisely known as cuboid and the last one is a triangular prism (as MarkFL said).

phymat said:
Second last one is precisely known as cuboid and the last one is a triangular prism (as MarkFL said).

I don't think there's anything precise with the term "cuboid" as it simply means "cube-like". "Rectangular Prism" is much more specific, as being a 3D shape with all identical rectangular cross-sections...

Prove It said:
I don't think there's anything precise with the term "cuboid" as it simply means "cube-like". "Rectangular Prism" is much more specific, as being a 3D shape with all identical rectangular cross-sections...

If a name has been given to a 3D shape by ancient mathematicians, why not use it? A square will be called a square, not a rectangle with all sides equal. :)

phymat said:
If a name has been given to a 3D shape by ancient mathematicians, why not use it? A square will be called a square, not a rectangle with all sides equal. :)

From wiki:
In geometry, a cuboid is a convex polyhedron bounded by six quadrilateral faces, whose polyhedral graph is the same as that of a cube. While mathematical literature refers to any such polyhedron as a cuboid,[1] other sources use "cuboid" to refer to a shape of this type in which each of the faces is a rectangle (and so each pair of adjacent faces meets in a right angle); this more restrictive type of cuboid is also known as a rectangular cuboid, right cuboid, rectangular box, rectangular hexahedron, right rectangular prism, or rectangular parallelepiped.[2]

So for starters "cuboid" is somewhat ambiguous, and more specifically mathematical literature refers to it without requiring right angles or square faces, while cube and right rectangular prism are well-defined with square respectively rectangular faces.

phymat said:

Ancient mathematicians also believed that all numbers were rational and killed anyone who could prove otherwise. Yes, why not use their logic?

I like Serena said:
From wiki:
In geometry, a cuboid is a convex polyhedron bounded by six quadrilateral faces, whose polyhedral graph is the same as that of a cube. While mathematical literature refers to any such polyhedron as a cuboid,[1] other sources use "cuboid" to refer to a shape of this type in which each of the faces is a rectangle (and so each pair of adjacent faces meets in a right angle); this more restrictive type of cuboid is also known as a rectangular cuboid, right cuboid, rectangular box, rectangular hexahedron, right rectangular prism, or rectangular parallelepiped.[2]

So for starters "cuboid" is somewhat ambiguous, and more specifically mathematical literature refers to it without requiring right angles or square faces, while cube and right rectangular prism are well-defined with square respectively rectangular faces.

Does the diagram posted by OP specify right angles or square faces?
Also, how would you define a cuboid?

phymat said:
Does the diagram posted by OP specify right angles or square faces?
Also, how would you define a cuboid?

Examples of cuboids... I think they look different from what is shown in the OP...

View attachment 6366

Attachments

• trapeza.jpg
    trapeza.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
I like Serena said:
Examples of cuboids... I think they look different from what is shown in the OP...

They 'look' different, but it is nowhere specified in the original diagram by OP that all angles are right angles and 4 faces are rectangular. Since it is not specified, cuboid is the most appropriate name for the shape. In a case that it had been specified, it could have been called as rectangular cuboid.

Related to Can anyone tell me the real names of these 3D shapes?

1. What are the real names of these 3D shapes?

The real names of these 3D shapes are cube, sphere, and cylinder.

2. Why do we use different names for these shapes?

We use different names for these shapes to accurately describe their unique characteristics and properties.

3. Can you explain the difference between a cube and a sphere?

A cube is a 3D shape with six square faces, while a sphere is a 3D shape with a curved surface and no edges or vertices.

4. How do we classify these 3D shapes?

These 3D shapes are typically classified based on the number of faces, edges, and vertices they have.

5. Are there real-life examples of these 3D shapes?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of these 3D shapes. A cube can be seen in a Rubik's cube, a sphere can be seen in a basketball, and a cylinder can be seen in a can of soda.