Can Articles on Insights be Translated and Published Elsewhere with Attribution?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of translating articles and including them with the original Insight or publishing them elsewhere with proper attribution. The forum software may not fully support this, and there may be concerns about non-English speaking commenters and moderation. However, Google Translate may not always be accurate for technical language. @bapowell supports the translation of his articles and encourages sharing them widely.
Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
1. If somebody wanted to translate one or some of the articles, would it be doable to include the translated text with the original Insight?
2. Alternatively, would publishing such a translation elsewhere (with full attribution of course) be o.k.?

Questions mostly directed to @Greg Bernhardt and @bapowell - the latter since it's his articles I'm thinking of translating.

This is just a couch potato sending out a feeler, not a declaration of motivated intent or anything ;)

Likes berkeman, Wrichik Basu and Orodruin
Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
1. If somebody wanted to translate one or some of the articles, would it be doable to include the translated text with the original Insight?
2. Alternatively, would publishing such a translation elsewhere (with full attribution of course) be o.k.?
This is under @bapowell control :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is under @bapowell control :smile:
The input I was looking to gain from you is whether the forum software would support it, one way or another, should it ever materialise.
The only semi-sensible way I can think of it working now involves resubmitting the translation as a separate insight, at best hyperlinked to the original - which I think could be detrimental? (i.e. kinda random non-English article cluttering the otherwise English-only forums)
Or, I suppose, adding the text in the same insight, after the original, but it seems way worse.

Unless that's how you'd want it. Or, maybe you'd rather not want it here at all - I can see some problems with non-English article potentially drawing in non-English speaking commenters, which goes against the forum rules and could open a can of worms w/r to moderation.

In any case, I'd like to know what the options are.
Cheers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see, doesn’t google translate work?
Google translate works well except when it doesn't. I imagine it would struggle with some technical language.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
doesn’t google translate work?
You wound me.

But in all seriousness, while I do believe the raise of machines will eventually doom the profession, the quality and accuracy of automatic translations remain subpar enough to enable me to keep putting food on the table. Even though in this case the quality is better than usual thanks to Brian's straightforward, no-nonsense language.

Anyway, I sometimes like to keep myself occupied by practising during downtimes, so this translation will likely happen. I just thought I could find it a better life than gathering virtual dust in some forgotten corner of my hard drive.

But not to worry, it doesn't have to be made available here, or anywhere public for that matter. Providing @bapowell doesn't object, I might simply end up sharing it among acquaintances, or in one or two of the smaller online groups.

Likes S.G. Janssens, bapowell and Greg Bernhardt
Hi guys. I whole-heartedly support the translation of any articles of mine. Share as widely as you wish!

Likes S.G. Janssens, dlgoff, Bandersnatch and 1 other person

Related to Can Articles on Insights be Translated and Published Elsewhere with Attribution?

What is the purpose of translating insights articles?

The purpose of translating insights articles is to make scientific research and findings accessible to a broader audience. By translating complex scientific language into more understandable terms, the information can reach a wider audience and have a greater impact.

What are the benefits of translating insights articles?

Translating insights articles can have several benefits, including increasing public understanding and awareness of scientific research, promoting the relevance and importance of the research, and potentially increasing funding and support for future studies.

Who is responsible for translating insights articles?

Translating insights articles can be done by a variety of individuals or organizations, including the original researchers, science communicators, journalists, or media outlets. It is important for the translators to have a strong understanding of the scientific concepts and be able to effectively convey them to a non-scientific audience.

What challenges may arise when translating insights articles?

One challenge in translating insights articles is accurately conveying complex scientific concepts in a simplified manner without losing important information. Additionally, translators must be mindful of potential biases and ensure that the information is presented objectively. Another challenge can be finding the right balance between maintaining scientific accuracy and making the information accessible and engaging for a wider audience.

How can the quality of translated insights articles be ensured?

The quality of translated insights articles can be ensured through various methods, such as peer review by other scientists, fact-checking by experts in the field, and obtaining feedback from the target audience. It is also important for translators to be transparent about their sources and methods and to cite their references accurately.