Can Explosives Really Make a Building Fall Faster Than Physics Allows?

• Thread starter beardad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, a coworker believes that the World Trade Center buildings and Building #7 fell faster than physics would allow due to explosive charges placed in the buildings. However, this is not supported by scientific evidence and is considered a banned topic on PF/Skepticism Forum. The explosions only weaken the structure, causing it to collapse under its own weight. It is not possible to prove or disprove conspiracy theories, and discussions on this topic are not allowed on this forum.
beardad
A fellow I work with claims that the world trade center buildings and building # 7 fell faster than physics will allow. He thinks that explosive charges placed in the buildings caused the buildings to fall faster than terminal velosity? I think he is a quack. how can I show him he is a quack. or is he right? thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
This is one of the banned topics on PF/Skepticism Forum.

Zz.

beardad said:
A fellow I work with claims that the world trade center buildings and building # 7 fell faster than physics will allow. He thinks that explosive charges placed in the buildings caused the buildings to fall faster than terminal velosity? I think he is a quack. how can I show him he is a quack. or is he right? thanks for your time
And your friend is wrong. Explosives placed in the building would not cause it to fall faster. The explosions simply undermine the structure, which then collapses under its own weight.

Sorry, but discussion of 9/11 conspiracy theories is not allowed here. (They just waste bandwidth!) Consult our "Rules" at the top of each page, especially the section on Conspiracy Theories/Closed topics. A list of such closed topics can be found in the https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=71194&postcount=1".

Thanks for understanding. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Explosives Really Make a Building Fall Faster Than Physics Allows?

1. What caused the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings on 9/11?

The collapse of the World Trade Center buildings on 9/11 was caused by the impact of the hijacked airplanes and the resulting fires. The intense heat from the fires weakened the structural integrity of the buildings, causing them to collapse.

2. Was the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings a controlled demolition?

No, there is no evidence to support the theory that the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings was a controlled demolition. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) conducted a thorough investigation and concluded that the collapse was due to the impact of the airplanes and the resulting fires.

3. Did the World Trade Center buildings collapse at free-fall speed?

No, the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings did not occur at free-fall speed. NIST's investigation found that the collapse was a gradual process, with each floor collapsing onto the one below it. This gradual collapse resulted in a total collapse time of about 18 seconds for the North Tower and about 11 seconds for the South Tower.

4. Why did World Trade Center Building 7 collapse on 9/11?

World Trade Center Building 7 collapsed on 9/11 due to fire-induced structural damage. NIST's investigation found that the fires in Building 7 caused a critical support column to fail, leading to a progressive collapse of the building.

5. Were there any explosives or controlled demolitions used in the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings?

No, there is no evidence to support the use of explosives or controlled demolitions in the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings. NIST's investigation concluded that the collapse was solely caused by the impact of the airplanes and the resulting fires.