Can I improve depth reading of my Latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to split a long LaTeX sentence into multiple lines, you can use whitespace to accomplish this.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hi there!
Consider my answer in: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=711324
I had to make a clunky split into two tex-commands, because if I tried to write it as a single one, Latex wouldn't read one of my fraction commands.

I have experienced this before, and wonder if there is some forcing command I can use, or some other device.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why it does it, but it seems to not like

Code:
}+\frac

So

Code:
[tex]\sin(\sqrt{x+Dx})=\sin(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}}+\frac{\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}})[/tex]

is broken:

[tex]\sin(\sqrt{x+Dx})=\sin(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}}+\frac{\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}})[/tex]

but

Code:
[tex]\sin(\sqrt{x+Dx})=\sin(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}}
+\frac{\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}})[/tex]

is fine

[tex]\sin(\sqrt{x+Dx})=\sin(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}}
+\frac{\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Dx}{\sqrt{x}}}})[/tex]

So it seems that adding some carriage returns will work without actually using tex or html commands to split the lines.

hmm..interesting! Thanks!

The forum software doesn't like "words" (things without a space or newline) that are more than fifty characters long. The solution is simple: Use whitespace!

When you are writing a "real" LaTeX document, it's best to use whitespace (*lots* of whitespace) for the sake of those who are reading the LaTeX rather than the generated document. Think of it as writing computer code. Which is more readable?

Code:
r=std::max((arrays.lin_alg_1*std::abs(data_prepj.yj)),(data_prepj.r0/arrays.error_weight[0]));

versus

Code:
r = std::max( arrays.lin_alg_1 * std::abs(data_prepj.yj) ,
              data_prepj.r0 / arrays.error_weight[0] );

The same rules apply to LaTeX. You aren't writing a document so much as programming it. Use lots of whitespace. You'll never run into the forum's 50 character limit if you apply these rules out of habit.

D H said:
The forum software doesn't like "words" (things without a space or newline) that are more than fifty characters long. The solution is simple: Use whitespace!

When you are writing a "real" LaTeX document, it's best to use whitespace (*lots* of whitespace) for the sake of those who are reading the LaTeX rather than the generated document. Think of it as writing computer code. Which is more readable?

Code:
r=std::max((arrays.lin_alg_1*std::abs(data_prepj.yj)),(data_prepj.r0/arrays.error_weight[0]));

versus

Code:
r = std::max( arrays.lin_alg_1 * std::abs(data_prepj.yj) ,
              data_prepj.r0 / arrays.error_weight[0] );

The same rules apply to LaTeX. You aren't writing a document so much as programming it. Use lots of whitespace. You'll never run into the forum's 50 character limit if you apply these rules out of habit.

Okay! :smile:

Related to Can I improve depth reading of my Latex?

1. How can I improve my depth reading in Latex?

To improve your depth reading in Latex, you can try using a larger font size, adjusting the line spacing, and using bold or italicized text to draw attention to important information. Additionally, using bullet points or numbered lists can help break up dense text and make it easier to read.

2. What is the best way to organize information for better depth reading in Latex?

The best way to organize information for better depth reading in Latex is to use headings and subheadings, along with clear and concise section titles. This allows readers to easily navigate and find the information they are looking for.

3. Are there any specific formatting guidelines that can improve depth reading in Latex?

Yes, there are a few formatting guidelines that can improve depth reading in Latex. These include using consistent font styles and sizes, avoiding excessive use of capitalization or bold/italicized text, and using ample white space to break up dense text.

4. How can I make my Latex document more visually appealing without sacrificing depth reading?

To make your Latex document more visually appealing without sacrificing depth reading, you can incorporate graphics or images that are relevant to the content, use color sparingly and strategically, and make use of tables or diagrams to present complex information in a more organized manner.

5. Can the use of tables or figures help with depth reading in Latex?

Yes, the use of tables or figures can definitely help with depth reading in Latex. These visual aids can help break up dense text and present information in a more organized and digestible manner. Just be sure to use them sparingly and only when they add value to the content.