Can Math Help Answer Philosophical Questions?

• Thread starter metatr2n
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of math and logic in determining the objectivity of certain philosophical questions. The first question pertains to the randomness of sports outcomes and whether it can be determined mathematically. The second question involves determining the likelihood of a coin being biased after a series of consecutive heads. The conversation suggests looking into the law of large numbers and statistical inference for further understanding.
metatr2n
Warning: I know very little math.

I have these two questions on my mind and felt this was a good place to ask if math, logic, etc. could be used to provide some measure of objectivity to these questions of a more philosophical nature. Like I said, the last time I looked at a quadratic equation was almost 20 years ago so read at your own risk...

1. I heard someone claiming that the outcomes of sports events were random. Not to say no skill or strategy at all involved, but that ultimately the outcome was random. This caused me to wonder how/if you could determine this with any degree of mathematical correctness. Is there any way to logically, statistically, mathematically- whatever- determine if the results of a sport event are random or else? Or is this knowledge beyond the ability of men to determine with any degree?

2. You and a friend are watching a man flip a coin. He flips the coin once and the result is heads. No surprise. He flips a second time; heads again. A third time; heads. This continues until the 20th straight heads and your friend states, "The coin is biased."

Is there any logical, statistical, mathematical way to determine that it is more likely that the coin is biased than it is not? Meaning, upon which flip does one reasonably move from, "It is as equally likely that the coin is biased than that it is not, to, it is more likely that the coin is biased than it is not?

I know that at some point- arguably far before the 1000th straight heads result- that we will intuit that the coin is biased; but that's just intuition of some sort. Is there any way to reasonably determine when an improbable result is more likely the outcome of chance and when it is more likely to be the outcome of interference? Not to say one or the other must be known with certainty- but when "<likely or =likely becomes >likely"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you would find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers" helpful. If the two teams are evenly matched, as is often the case in highly-competitive leagues, it does make sense to me that chance plays a large role in the outcomes as far as being evenly matched means being equally likely to win. (Though their chances can change as the game progresses.)

As for your question about what math can do in these situations, I think you'll want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_inference" .

I give links because they're somewhat large topics and wikipedia does a better job than I can at introducing and surveying them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Math Help Answer Philosophical Questions?

1. Can math really help answer philosophical questions?

While it may seem surprising, math can actually play a significant role in tackling philosophical questions. Many philosophical ideas, such as logic and reasoning, can be formalized and expressed through mathematical equations and proofs. This allows for a more precise and rigorous examination of these concepts.

2. What are some examples of philosophical questions that can be answered using math?

Some examples include the concept of infinity, the nature of reality, and the existence of free will. By using mathematical tools such as set theory, calculus, and statistics, we can gain a deeper understanding of these philosophical concepts and potentially arrive at new insights.

3. How does math contribute to philosophical debates?

Math can provide a framework for analyzing and evaluating arguments in philosophical debates. By using logical and mathematical reasoning, we can assess the validity and soundness of arguments, as well as identify potential flaws or fallacies.

4. What are the limitations of using math to answer philosophical questions?

While math can be a useful tool in addressing philosophical questions, it is important to recognize its limitations. Not all philosophical ideas can be fully captured or explained through mathematical methods, and there is still room for subjective interpretation and personal beliefs in philosophical debates.

5. How can the integration of math and philosophy benefit society?

The integration of math and philosophy can lead to a more interdisciplinary approach to problem-solving and decision-making. It can also promote critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of complex concepts. Additionally, advancements in mathematical philosophy can have practical applications in fields such as artificial intelligence and ethics.