Can Matrix Norms be Used to Bound the Eigenvalues of a Matrix?

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that for a matrix A and vector x, if the norm of Ax is greater than or equal to the norm of x divided by 10, then the norm of A must be greater than or equal to 1/10. The proof involves using the definition of matrix norm and assuming the inverse of A is greater than 10, which leads to a contradiction.
garrus

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]||A||_1 \le \sqrt{n} ||A||_2 , ||A||_2 \le \sqrt{n} ||A||_1[/itex] , where
[tex]||A||_1 = \max_{1\le j\le n}\sum_{i=1}^n |a_{ij}| \\
||A||_2 = (p(A^TA))^\frac{1}{2} \\
p(B) = \max|\lambda_B|
[/tex]
with [itex]A,B\in \mathbb{R}^{n,n}, i,j\in[1...n] , \lambda_A[/itex]the eigenvalues of matrix A

Homework Equations

wiki page on matrix norms

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured i could go the same way in proving that [itex]||x||_1 \le \sqrt{n} ||x||_2 , x\in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] via the Cauchy Schwartz inequality.But since the max operator is not linear, isn't it a mistake to write
[tex]

||A||_1 = \max_{1\le j\le n} \sum_{i=1}^{n}|a_{ij}| =
\max_{1\le j\le n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}|a_{ij}| * 1 \le
\max_{1\le j\le n} (\sum_{i=1}^{n}|a_{ij}|^2 * \sum_{i=1}^{n}1^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex] ?
Any hints?

edit:
Slightly off topic question: In triangle inequality, it holds that
|a - b| >= |a| - |b| . can we also bound it from below, by |a-b| = |a +(-b)| <=|a|+|b| ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Noone?

One another norm problem, I'm given.If you could verify / correct:
[tex]
A\in\mathbb{R}^{n,n} , x\in \mathbb{R}^n. \|Ax\|\ge \frac{\|x\|}{10}
[/tex]
and ask to show that [itex] \|A^{-1}\| \le 10[/itex]
where [itex]||\cdot||[/itex] a norm and the corresponding matrix norm derived by it.

[tex]
\|Ax\|\ge \frac{\|x\|}{10} \iff \|A\| \|x\| \ge\|Ax\|\ge \frac{\|x\|}{10} \Rightarrow
\|A\| \ge \frac{1}{10} (*)
[/tex]
Only way i managed was to assert a value and lead to contradiction,but i suspect there must be a more elegant way.Let [itex] \|A^{-1}\| > 10[/itex]
[tex]
\|A^{-1}\| > 10 \iff ||A|| \|A^{-1}\| > 10 \|A\| \\ but\\
1 = \|A A^{-1}\| \le \|A\| \|A^{-1}\| \\
(*) \Rightarrow 10 \|A\| \ge 1
[/tex]
, which is a contradiction, so [itex]\|A^{-1}\| > 10[/itex] is false.Thus [itex]\|A^{-1}\| \le 10[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Can Matrix Norms be Used to Bound the Eigenvalues of a Matrix?

What is a matrix norm?

A matrix norm is a mathematical concept that measures the size or magnitude of a matrix. It is similar to the concept of absolute value for real numbers.

What is the difference between matrix norms 1 and 2?

Matrix norm 1, also known as the maximum absolute column sum norm, measures the maximum absolute column sum of a matrix. Matrix norm 2, also known as the spectral norm, measures the maximum singular value of a matrix. These two norms are different ways of measuring the size of a matrix and they can produce different results.

What does it mean for matrix norms 1 and 2 to be equivalent?

Matrix norms 1 and 2 are considered equivalent if they produce the same result for any given matrix. This means that the two norms are measuring the size of the matrix in a similar manner.

How can I prove that matrix norms 1 and 2 are equivalent?

To prove that matrix norms 1 and 2 are equivalent, you can show that they satisfy the three properties of a norm: subadditivity, positive homogeneity, and the triangle inequality. If both norms satisfy these properties, they are considered equivalent.

Why are matrix norms important in mathematics and science?

Matrix norms are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to quantify the size or magnitude of a matrix. They are useful in various applications such as data analysis, optimization, and solving systems of linear equations.