Can someone help me with a Statistic problem?

• Thread starter nickelanddimed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, if you are struggling with understanding a concept or solving a statistic problem, it is a good sign that you may need some help. There are various options for finding help, such as reaching out to a tutor, classmate, or using online resources. When seeking help, it is important to provide as much information as possible about the problem you are facing. To improve your understanding of statistics, it is recommended to practice regularly, relate concepts to real-world examples, and use online resources. Simply getting the answer to a statistic problem may not be as beneficial as seeking help in understanding the techniques and concepts used to solve it.
nickelanddimed
Consider a survey of n people asking whether they plan to use Route A or Route B, with an anticipated fraction p choosing Route A.

If p = .30, plot the 95% confidence bounds and the expected value of X as a function of n, for n = 50 to n = 800.

I have no idea where to start or how to work it out..can someone please guide me through the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two possible outcomes - a person chooses A or B, so a binomial distribution applies.

What have you learned about the expectation value?

Of course, I am happy to assist you with this statistic problem. It seems like you are trying to analyze the results of a survey regarding the preferred route of a group of people. The first step would be to determine the sample size (n) and the anticipated fraction (p) of people who plan to use Route A. In this case, n represents the total number of people surveyed and p represents the proportion of those people who chose Route A.

To plot the 95% confidence bounds and the expected value of X, we would need to calculate the standard error and margin of error. The standard error is a measure of how much the sample mean varies from the true population mean, and the margin of error is the range within which the true population mean is likely to fall.

To calculate the standard error, we would use the formula SE = √(p(1-p)/n), where p is the anticipated fraction and n is the sample size. Using your given value of p = 0.30 and a sample size of n = 50, the standard error would be SE = √(0.30(1-0.30)/50) = 0.073.

Next, we can calculate the margin of error by multiplying the standard error by the critical value for a 95% confidence interval. The critical value can be found using a table or a calculator, and for a sample size of 50, it is approximately 1.96. Therefore, the margin of error would be ME = 1.96 * 0.073 = 0.143.

Now, we can plot the 95% confidence bounds by adding and subtracting the margin of error from the anticipated fraction. In this case, the lower bound would be 0.30 - 0.143 = 0.157 and the upper bound would be 0.30 + 0.143 = 0.443. This means that we can be 95% confident that the true proportion of people who plan to use Route A falls between 0.157 and 0.443.

To calculate the expected value of X, we would simply multiply the anticipated fraction by the sample size. In this case, the expected value of X would be 0.30 * 50 = 15. This means that we can expect approximately 15 people out of the 50 surveyed to choose Route A.

To plot the expected value of X as a function

Related to Can someone help me with a Statistic problem?

1. How do I know when I need help with a statistic problem?

If you are struggling to understand a concept or solve a problem related to statistics, it is a good indication that you may need some assistance.

2. Where can I find someone to help me with a statistic problem?

There are several options for finding help with a statistic problem. You can reach out to a tutor, ask a classmate or professor for assistance, or seek help from online resources such as forums or tutoring services.

3. What information should I provide when asking for help with a statistic problem?

It is important to provide as much information as possible about the problem you are facing. This includes the specific question or concept you are struggling with, any relevant data or variables, and any steps you have already taken to try and solve the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding of statistics?

One way to improve your understanding of statistics is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try to relate statistical concepts to real-world examples, and use online resources such as tutorials and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. Can someone just give me the answer to my statistic problem?

It is important to remember that simply getting the answer to a statistic problem may not help you in the long run. It is more beneficial to seek help in understanding the concepts and techniques used to solve the problem, so that you can apply them to future problems on your own.