Can Triangulation and Pivoting Derive U and V for Pseudo-Arclength Continuation?

In summary, triangulation and pivoting are methods commonly used in scientific research to determine the location of objects or points on a map. Triangulation involves measuring angles between known and unknown points, while pivoting involves measuring angles between multiple known points. These methods are important in various fields such as geology, archaeology, and astronomy, where precise location measurements are necessary for further analysis. However, there are limitations to these methods, including the need for accurate measurements and unsuitability for certain environments. Alternative methods such as GPS, laser scanning, and photogrammetry are also used for location determination in scientific research.
allezz

Homework Statement

[Dx De ; 0 0 ].[ U ; V ] = [ 0 0 ]

U : Nx1 vector
V : a scalar
Dx : NxN matrice ( dL / dx )
De : Nx1 vector ( dL / dE )

L is set of equations ( N amount )
E is a parameter in equations
x is unknowns ( N amount )

I need to derive U and V ( tangent vector components ) to apply pseudo-arclenght method to solve set of equations

I need to find a supplementary equation in form of

U(X-Xo) + V(E-Eo) - S = 0

S is the arclength step size

Homework Equations

Is it derivable by hand or do i need a algorithm to find U and V ?

The Attempt at a Solution

if i set V scalar as 1

U = inv(Dx)(-De) i can deduce U components

but if V is zero then i can't find N-dimensional vector ,

I heard that it can be done with triangulation and complete pivoting. How could it be possible?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is possible to derive the values of U and V by hand using the given information. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Rewrite the given equation as [Dx De; 0 0].[U; V] = [0; 0]. This is a matrix equation that can be written as two separate equations:

DxU + DeV = 0
0U + 0V = 0

2. Since the second equation is always satisfied, we can ignore it and focus on the first equation. Rearrange it to get:

V = -DxU/De

3. Now, we can substitute this value of V into the first equation to get:

DxU - DxU = 0

This means that U can take any value, as long as V is calculated using the above equation.

4. To find U and V, we need to also satisfy the supplementary equation given. Using the value of V we calculated in step 2, we can rewrite the supplementary equation as:

U(X-Xo) - DxU(E-Eo)/De - S = 0

5. This is a linear equation in terms of U, which can be solved using standard methods such as Gaussian elimination or LU decomposition. Once you have the value of U, you can use the equation in step 2 to calculate the corresponding value of V.

In general, it is possible to derive the values of U and V by hand using the given information. However, in some cases, it may be easier to use an algorithm or a software program to solve the equations. This could be the case if the equations are complex or if there are a large number of unknowns. In such cases, using triangulation and complete pivoting can be helpful in simplifying the equations and making them easier to solve. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Can Triangulation and Pivoting Derive U and V for Pseudo-Arclength Continuation?

1. What is triangulation and pivoting?

Triangulation and pivoting are two methods used in scientific research to determine the position or location of an object or point on a map. Triangulation involves measuring the angles between two known points and the unknown point, while pivoting involves measuring the angles between multiple known points to determine the location of an unknown point.

2. Why is triangulation and pivoting important in scientific research?

Triangulation and pivoting are important in scientific research because they allow researchers to accurately determine the location of objects or points on a map. This information is crucial in a variety of fields, including geology, archaeology, and astronomy, where precise measurements of location are necessary for further analysis and understanding.

3. What are some examples of how triangulation and pivoting are used in scientific research?

Triangulation and pivoting are used in a variety of scientific research projects. For example, in geology, these methods can be used to map the locations of faults and rock formations. In archaeology, they can be used to locate and map ancient ruins. In astronomy, they can be used to determine the positions of stars and other celestial objects.

4. What are the limitations of using triangulation and pivoting?

While triangulation and pivoting are effective methods for determining location, they do have some limitations. These methods require accurate measurements of angles and distances, which can be affected by environmental factors such as weather and terrain. Additionally, these methods may not be suitable for extremely large or complex areas.

5. Are there any alternative methods to triangulation and pivoting?

Yes, there are alternative methods to triangulation and pivoting that are commonly used in scientific research. These include global positioning systems (GPS), laser scanning, and photogrammetry. These methods use advanced technology to accurately determine location and may be more suitable for certain research projects or environments.