Can virtual particles explain quantum phenomena?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in quantum physics and their interest in exploring a new explanation for quantum phenomena using the concept of vacuum fluctuations. The other participant in the conversation points out the need for a quantitative model to support this hypothesis and raises questions about its compatibility with established experimental results. The speaker acknowledges the potential limitations of their idea and expresses their intention to further develop and substantiate it.
Tsunami
I only studied basis quantum physics as a graduate, my main focus was on light technology and I didn't carry it much further from there. But the passion for understanding how the world works remains.

Basically, I was wondering what would happen if one were to explain quantum phenomena not so much as something that is a property of particles/fields and their interactions, but of a interaction of particles/fields in a quantum-phrased version of the ether; let's call it a vacuum.

Example: the tunneling effect of electrons is not so much possible because short-time fluctuations in energy are possible and present in the electrons, but because vacuum fluctuations give the electron or electrons an extra shove, allowign them to tunnel.

At first glance, this explanation seems equivalent to the original one, similar to Lorentz' ether explanation in pre-relativity times.

The other example that could be investigated is entanglement. If entanglement becomes a property of the vacuum fluctuations (something that is always there, everywhere), that seems as sensible enough to consider as an explanation...

Basically, what I'm hoping for as a response is an experiment that shows why this interpretation will come into problems. If it doesn't, at least I know that I'm making a merely metaphysical suggestion here, and I should consider it as such.

Awaiting your response,
Tsu

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
Example: the tunneling effect of electrons is not so much possible because short-time fluctuations in energy are possible and present in the electrons, but because vacuum fluctuations give the electron or electrons an extra shove, allowign them to tunnel.

You need to come out with the model that produce a quantitative description of the tunneling current based on your hypothesis. What you've described is vague and, really, unfalsifiable. You need to show how, with changing barrier potential and width, that you can get the same experimental result. Till then, there's nothing to show if you're right or wrong.

Zz.

Tsunami said:
I only studied basis quantum physics as a graduate, my main focus was on light technology and I didn't carry it much further from there. But the passion for understanding how the world works remains.

Basically, I was wondering what would happen if one were to explain quantum phenomena not so much as something that is a property of particles/fields and their interactions, but of a interaction of particles/fields in a quantum-phrased version of the ether; let's call it a vacuum.

At first glance, this explanation seems equivalent to the original one, similar to Lorentz' ether explanation in pre-relativity times.

The other example that could be investigated is entanglement. If entanglement becomes a property of the vacuum fluctuations (something that is always there, everywhere), that seems as sensible enough to consider as an explanation...

Basically, what I'm hoping for as a response is an experiment that shows why this interpretation will come into problems. If it doesn't, at least I know that I'm making a merely metaphysical suggestion here, and I should consider it as such.

Awaiting your response,
Tsu

As ZapperZ says (and you suggest too), there is a metaphysical aspect to your hypothesis. We would imagine that virtual particle pairs are entangled (as spin must add to zero), so I can see how you might arrive at your hypothesis. I believe I have even seen a paper that loosely maps to your idea (although not what I would call generally accepted - it is purely theoretical).

But even virtual particles exhibit quantum effects, and many quantum effects have apparently nothing to do with virtual particles. So it seems a stretch to speculate that they are the source themselves. For example, how to explain quantum non-locality? Or the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? You end up trying to use the virtual particles in a classical fashion, and that just doesn't fit with experiment.

So I can't think of any experiment that supports your idea, but you would need to be more specific to get a citation to one that rules it out.

DrChinese said:
As ZapperZ says (and you suggest too), there is a metaphysical aspect to your hypothesis. We would imagine that virtual particle pairs are entangled (as spin must add to zero), so I can see how you might arrive at your hypothesis. I believe I have even seen a paper that loosely maps to your idea (although not what I would call generally accepted - it is purely theoretical).

But even virtual particles exhibit quantum effects, and many quantum effects have apparently nothing to do with virtual particles. So it seems a stretch to speculate that they are the source themselves. For example, how to explain quantum non-locality? Or the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? You end up trying to use the virtual particles in a classical fashion, and that just doesn't fit with experiment.

So I can't think of any experiment that supports your idea, but you would need to be more specific to get a citation to one that rules it out.

Ok, that makes sense. It does give me the impression that even as a metaphysical concept, the idea could get into problems when tracing out the consequences.
If I manage to substantiate a reasonable system, I'll return to this thread, but if not you can expect this thread to die a slow death.

Thanks though for considering the thought.

Related to Can virtual particles explain quantum phenomena?

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s), regardless of the distance between them. This means that the particles are no longer considered to be separate entities, but rather a single system.

How does entanglement occur?

Entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact with each other in a way that their individual quantum states become dependent on each other. This can happen through processes such as collision, decay, or emission of photons.

What is the significance of entanglement?

Entanglement has significant implications in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It also challenges our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and has been studied extensively in quantum information and physics research.

What is the relationship between entanglement and the vacuum?

The vacuum, or empty space, is not truly empty but rather filled with virtual particles and fields. Entanglement can occur between these virtual particles, creating what is known as quantum vacuum entanglement. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at the quantum level.

Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

Entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not directly observable in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in technologies such as quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation. Additionally, many natural processes, such as photosynthesis in plants, are thought to utilize entanglement in their functioning.