Car battery & pool sump pump Amperage/life question

In summary, if you want to wire a sump pump directly to a battery, you should get an inverter that is capable of doing so, and should not try to do it using a cigarette lighter plug.
XsnidalX
Alright, so here goes, and by the way, this isn't homework, just in case you're wondering.

Question 1: So, i have a 12vdc 500amp battery/car inverter and a 12vdc 11amp sump pump. If I wire it up, approximately how long will they last?

Question 2: Also, I have a power inverter for my car, can I hook up a 120v 11amp sump pump to it and connect it directly to the battery without resistance? That is wire the inverter directly to the battery? I'm not sure how cigarette lighter plugs work, but as it stands the inverter has a cigarette lighter plug on the end.

Answers are welcome, but please: Feel free to spit out a formula and explain the variables fully!

:D

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For Question 2, what is the output Amperage rating of the inverter?

I'm not totally sure, it's faded off the label. but I ran a small 17" tv off of it along with the original Xbox. So I am sure that the pump shouldn't take more current than them.

The TV is not enough of a test load. The sump pump needs about 1300 Watts. A small TV draws, what?, 300 Watts max?

In any case your 12V sump pump is a much lighter load. It's 1/10th the load of the 120 volt job.

Thanks dude, I forgot to specify the AH of the battery. It's 14AH. I appreciate you posting and replying.
It's weird, because i thought for sure i'd be able to figure this out, haha.

Now that I think about it, I have a car booster as well, rated at 14AH as well!
Would running the pump for any extended period of time harm the car booster if ran for a period of 15 minutes to a half hour?

Last edited:
OK. You will get the same energy out of the battery, whether you convert it to 120VAC or use it directly. The conversion to 120VAC will cost some overhead energy in converions. Anyway, A 14AH battery will have about 14A*12V = 168 Watts for one hour. It's a bit less as the 12 volts decays toward 10 volts. Call it 150 Watt for one hour.

Using the 12 volt pump at 11 Amps, it will run for maybe one hour and 15 minutes before the battery is depleted if the battery is new at full load. One hour if it's less than new. Even better for you it's rated at 11 Amps under full load. You may not always be running near full load. But bad for you, the pump may not be able to pull a column of water from the bottom of the pool to the pump.

Wire the pump to the battery. Put the pump in a bucket of water and the outlet raised up. Raise the outlet tube so that the end is the same as pumping from the bottom of the pool and see if it complains.

Last edited:
Wow, I appreciate it! :D. Been a learning curve! I've had this account for a while now, but I am glad i kept on the newsletter and kept it around, it has come in great handy!

the pumps max is 11amps

I greatly appreciate it Phrak! Turns out the sump pump is a little on the cheap side, can only run for half hour intervals, cuts out every half hour for about 15 minutes. Has a 240GPH flow rate, if anyone is wondering. Also future note, buy a better sump pump!

Mind jotting down the formula though with an explanation? Thanks!

Cheers mate!

Last edited:
You're welcome XsnidalX. I don't really know what formula's I've used except P=EI, power = voltage x amperage. --That and some general engineering skill--though I haven't done a lot of motor applications.

XsnidalX said:
Question 2: Also, I have a power inverter for my car, can I hook up a 120v 11amp sump pump to it and connect it directly to the battery without resistance? That is wire the inverter directly to the battery? I'm not sure how cigarette lighter plugs work, but as it stands the inverter has a cigarette lighter plug on the end.

Assuming this is not a typo, I really don't think you should do this. 11A at 120V is a lot of power to draw from a battery. It won't last more than a few minutes. If you run the car while it's drawing this much power, it will destroy your alternator.

I should probably ask how much you paid for the inverter. Power electronics are very expensive so if you paid anything less than $200 then the inverter probably won't support 11A. The cheapest one on Newegg capable of doing what you're asking is $400. The next cheapest model on that site is $280 but only supports 750W continuous.

I'm assuming you're doing this because you don't have access to a regular house receptacle. In that case, get a gasoline generator and use that. A 2700W generator costs $300 CDN at my local hardware store.

I'm not sure if I've read the question correctly but what is the inverter for? the pump seems to be 12vdc?

Related to Car battery & pool sump pump Amperage/life question

1. How long should a car battery last?

The average lifespan of a car battery is typically 3-5 years. However, this can vary depending on the type of battery, driving habits, and overall maintenance.

2. How do I know if my car battery needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that may indicate a failing car battery, including difficulty starting the car, dim headlights, and a check engine light. It is best to have the battery tested by a professional if you suspect it needs to be replaced.

3. What is the recommended amperage for a car battery?

The recommended amperage for a car battery is typically between 500-1000 amps. However, this can vary depending on the make and model of your car. It is best to consult your owner's manual for the specific amperage requirements.

4. Can a pool sump pump drain a car battery?

Yes, a pool sump pump can drain a car battery if it is connected to the battery and running for an extended period of time. It is important to monitor the battery and recharge it if necessary to avoid draining it completely.

5. How can I prolong the life of my car battery?

To prolong the life of your car battery, it is important to regularly check and maintain the battery, avoid short trips that do not allow the battery to fully charge, and minimize the use of electronics while the car is not running. It is also recommended to have the battery tested regularly by a professional to catch any potential issues early on.