Car crash: Can it be an elastic collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions and how they relate to the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum. The problem of two cars colliding and separating is used as an example, with the conclusion that it is an inelastic collision. The concept of car crashes being inelastic in real life is also mentioned, but in textbook problems, it is important to focus on the given data. The conversation ends with a mention of car manufacturers using crush zones to reduce kinetic energy into other forms of energy.
kikidoll
If two cars are going towards each other, collide, and then are separated (have separate masses and separate velocities)... that is an elastic collision, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
yup i think so, inelastic is when the objects hit and then stop dead

An elastic collision requires conservation of kinetic energy and momentum. If there is so much as a single dent caused by the collision some kinetic energy will have changed in for example heat. In reality car crashes are always inelastic.

There are two extremes.
Perfectly inelastic when the objects stop dead and there is a total conversion of K.E.
Perfectly elastic when there is zero loss of K.E.These collisions can happen with atomic scale objects such as gas molecules.
The collision referred to lies between the extremes but is more inelastic.

That's why I am confused... let me paraphrase the problem (I don't remember it verbatim- these numbers won't work but you'll get the idea):

Car 1 is 1.45kg and is going 4 m/s in the positive x direction. Car 2 is 0.65kg and is going -0.9 m/s. They collide, and after car 2 is going 2 m/s... find the new velocity of car 1.

There's where I got confused. I thought car crashes were inelastic, and momentum would be conserved by:
MiVi (car 1) + MiVi (car 2) = (Mcar1+car2)(Vf)

Since it gave a new velocity for car 2, I assumed it meant that they separated:
MiVi (car 1) + MiVi (car 2) = MfVf (car 1) + MfVf (car 2)

I plugged in the numbers and found car 1's new Vf.

Does that sound right to you?

correct

Your intuition is correct, you won't see two cars bounce off each other during a head on collision in real life. However with these kind of textbook problems it's important to just look at the data given regardless of how realistic it is. Your answer is correct.

Yeah, impossible to have elastic collision. Elastic collision = bad because KE is conserved and we would be bouncing back pretty fast!

That's why car manufacturers have crush zones to help reduce KE into other forms of energy including heat.

Cyosis said:
Your intuition is correct, you won't see two cars bounce off each other during a head on collision in real life. However with these kind of textbook problems it's important to just look at the data given regardless of how realistic it is. Your answer is correct.

Thank you.

Related to Car crash: Can it be an elastic collision?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. Can a car crash be an elastic collision?

In theory, yes, a car crash can be an elastic collision. However, in real-world scenarios, most car crashes involve some loss of energy due to factors such as friction and deformation of the vehicles involved.

3. How can we determine if a car crash is an elastic collision?

To determine if a car crash is an elastic collision, we can use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. If the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are equal, then the collision can be considered elastic.

4. What factors can affect the elasticity of a car crash?

The elasticity of a car crash can be affected by factors such as the speed and mass of the vehicles involved, the angle of collision, and the materials and design of the vehicles. Other external factors such as road conditions and weather can also impact the elasticity of a car crash.

5. Are there any real-life examples of elastic car collisions?

While most car crashes involve some loss of energy, there have been rare instances where car collisions have been considered elastic. For example, in a head-on collision between two identical cars traveling at the same speed, the collision may be considered elastic as there is no deformation or loss of energy.