Catenary lighting canopy -- Working out reactions at columns

In summary: There is no single, simple formula or method for calculating the forces on each column, as it will vary depending on the specific conditions and design choices made.In summary, the problem at hand involves determining the forces on four supporting columns that hold a wire used to hang festive lights. The middle wires follow a catenary shape and can be analyzed with vertical and horizontal forces, but the outer wires connecting to the columns require further consideration. The analysis becomes more complex when the loads are not uniformly applied and will depend on specific design choices and conditions.
Alex999
Hi guys, first time poster so play nice :)

Outline of problem:

The situation I have is that there are 4 supporting columns. These columns support support a wire and this wire is then used to hang wires which support festive lights. (see diagram below)

What I'm looking for as an end point is to be able to say what are the forces going onto the columns

I'm not looking for a numerical answer as such, hence i haven't provided any figures, I'm just looking for the right way to think about it and then I can put numbers to it later.
FQ4JkL4.png

equations:

n/a

attempted solution:The way I'm thinking of it initially is the middle wires are effectively catenary systems (as the lights are placed at regular and relatively close intervals and I can therefore approximate it as the wire having a self weight that includes the lights) and therefore I can specify a vertical and horizontal force at each point where these inner wires connect to the outer wires.

However I'm hitting a bit of a mental block when it comes to thinking about the outer wires which connect to the columns and how I would go about it. I remember doing the simpler tension problems (weight hung between two wires) when I did mechanics and was wondering whether this would be the path to take... but like I've said I'm in abit of a muddle thinking about it and could use some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the standpoint of static equilibrium, the four corner posts must support the weight of all the wires and the lights attached. Depending on the amount of sag in the wires connecting the columns, there will be additional horizontal loads imposed on the free ends of these members, which will tend to draw them together.

A wire supported at both ends and carrying a uniformly distributed weight along its length has a shape which is called a catenary. One can analyze the statics of such structures as described in this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

When the loads are no longer uniformly applied, the analysis becomes more complex, and the shape changes from a catenary to something more parabolic.

Beyond this, analysis would require that you look at specific cases, where you know the properties of the wire, the arrangement and properties of the lights, etc.

Related to Catenary lighting canopy -- Working out reactions at columns

1. What is a catenary lighting canopy?

A catenary lighting canopy is a type of architectural lighting installation that uses suspended cables to create a curved canopy structure. It is often used in outdoor spaces to provide both functional lighting and aesthetic appeal.

2. How do you calculate the reactions at columns in a catenary lighting canopy?

The reactions at columns in a catenary lighting canopy can be calculated using principles of statics and the properties of the suspended cables. This involves determining the weight of the canopy, the tension in the cables, and the angles at which the cables are suspended.

3. What factors affect the reactions at columns in a catenary lighting canopy?

The reactions at columns in a catenary lighting canopy are primarily affected by the weight of the canopy, the tensions in the cables, and the angle at which the cables are suspended. Other factors that may affect the reactions include wind load, temperature changes, and the weight of any additional fixtures or decorations attached to the canopy.

4. How do you ensure the structural integrity of a catenary lighting canopy?

To ensure the structural integrity of a catenary lighting canopy, it is important to use high-quality materials and follow proper installation procedures. The canopy design should also take into account the weight and tension of the cables, as well as any potential environmental factors that may affect the canopy.

5. Are there any safety considerations for a catenary lighting canopy?

Yes, safety is an important consideration for any architectural installation, including catenary lighting canopies. It is important to ensure that the canopy is securely anchored and able to withstand any potential stresses or loads. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the safety and stability of the canopy over time.