Centripedal acceleration of an electron

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the electron's centripetal acceleration as it orbits around a nucleus with two protons, given the radius of the orbit. Using the known values for the electron charge and mass, the force diagram can be set up to equate the centripetal force to the force of the electron's orbit. The resulting equation can then be solved for the centripetal acceleration, which will be double the initial calculation due to the presence of two protons.
azurken

Homework Statement

Multiple-Concept Example 3 provides some pertinent background for this problem. Suppose a single electron orbits about a nucleus containing two protons (2e), as would be the case for a helium atom from which one of the two naturally occurring electrons is removed. The radius of the orbit is 2.65 x 10^11 m. Determine the magnitude of the electron’s centripetal acceleration.

From the example on that page
Given:
Electron charge -1.60 x 10^-19 C
Electron mass 9.11 x 10^-31 kg
Proton charge +1.60 x 10^-19 C
Radius of orbit 5.29 x 10^-11 m

Homework Equations

F = (k)(q1)(q2) /r^2
Fc=Ac x M
Ac=Fc/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin with this problem. Yes it's a chug and plug problem but the book is being annoyingly vague. The example it was referring me to was for a hydrogen atom. I'm not sure if I was supposed to use the values from the example but otherwise they really didn't give me ANYTHING besides the radius to find the force of the electron.

From using the Charges from the example (1.6x10^-19 ), I get 3.27x10^-7 .

Plugging that number into find the acceleration, using the mass of the electron from the example I get 3.60x10^23

The answer in the back says 7.19x10^23 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there ,

Why don't you make a force diagram on electron revolving around nucleus , and try to find the acceleration from there ?

You mean like a free diagram?

Yea , a FBD ( free body diagram )
That might get the juices flowing in the right direction :cool:

Alright.. I still don't get it though, how do I know what the mass is for the e-?

And also I don't know how to draw an fbd for this.. Theres 2 protons, (I assume not at the center), so where do I draw them?

Sorry it's been awhile I've done a fbd... well tbh I've never done one for an electron.

Is it basically just a proton (nucleus) in the middle with an electron going circles around it?

Ok , first of all mass of electron should be known . They assume that you know the mass of electron which is 9.1X10^-31 kg
and for FBD , simply imagine a satellite orbiting a planet , you don't need to draw two protons , just one big thing of charge .As the electron will revolve around the nucleus ,it will experience a force of k2e^2/r^2 . Equate this to centripetal force and divide by mass of electron . You will be left with centripetal acceleration on one side and that is what you want :cool:

Ahh I got it! I didn't know I had to multiply by 2 for the electrons.

kushan said:
Ok , first of all mass of electron should be known . They assume that you know the mass of electron which is 9.1X10^-31 kg
and for FBD , simply imagine a satellite orbiting a planet , you don't need to draw two protons , just one big thing of charge .As the electron will revolve around the nucleus ,it will experience a force of k2e^2/r^2 . Equate this to centripetal force and divide by mass of electron . You will be left with centripetal acceleration on one side and that is what you want :cool:

Wait.. am I supposed to double the charge for the electron since it's a 2e- substance? The hydrogen example given in the book didn't have the 2 in it and just went k(e^2)/r^2

Related to Centripedal acceleration of an electron

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

How does centripetal acceleration apply to electrons?

In the context of electrons, centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration experienced by an electron moving in a circular path around a central nucleus. This is due to the electrostatic force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron.

What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of an electron?

The centripetal acceleration of an electron is affected by the speed of the electron, the radius of its circular path, and the strength of the electrostatic force between the electron and the nucleus.

What is the role of centripetal acceleration in the stability of an atom?

Centripetal acceleration plays a crucial role in the stability of an atom. It is responsible for keeping the negatively charged electrons in their orbits around the positively charged nucleus. Without this acceleration, the electrons would spiral into the nucleus, causing the atom to collapse.

Can the centripetal acceleration of an electron be measured?

Yes, the centripetal acceleration of an electron can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r. The speed of an electron can be determined using the Bohr model or the Schrodinger equation, and the radius of its orbit can be measured using experimental techniques. By plugging in these values, the centripetal acceleration can be calculated.