Change of variables jacobian limits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the jacobian and area elements for a given integral and suggests using a polar transformation to solve the problem. The limits for the transformed integral are also provided and the use of the Jacobian determinant is mentioned.
ahmed markhoos
## \int_{0}^{∞}\int_{0}^{∞} \frac{x^2+y^2}{1+(x^2-y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} dxdy ##

##u= x^2-y^2##
##v=2xy##I tried to find the jacobian and the area elements,

I found it to be ## dA = \frac{1}{v} du dv ##

I'm having problem finding the limits of u & v and getting rid of ##x^{2}+y^{2}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
------------- by mistake

I could be wrong about this, but I think you should try a polar transformation. All the ##x^2## and ##y^2## terms seem to hint at this.

$$\iint_D \frac{x^2 + y^2}{1 + (x^2 - y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} dA = \iint_{D'} \frac{r^2}{1 + (r^2 \text{cos}(2 \theta))^2} e^{-r^2 sin(2 \theta)} r dr d\theta$$

Where ##D'## is the part of ##D## inside the circle ##x^2 + y^2 \leq c^2##. So ##0 \leq r \leq c## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}## define the limits of ##D'##.

Then you want to consider when ##c \to \infty##, so ##D'## becomes infinitely large.

Last edited:
Likes ahmed markhoos
Zondrina said:
I could be wrong about this, but I think you should try a polar transformation. All the ##x^2## and ##y^2## terms seem to hint at this.

$$\iint_D \frac{x^2 + y^2}{1 + (x^2 - y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} dA = \iint_{D'} \frac{r^2}{1 + (r^2 \text{cos}(2 \theta))^2} e^{-r^2 sin(2 \theta)} r dr d\theta$$

Where ##D'## is the part of ##D## inside the circle ##x^2 + y^2 \leq c^2##. So ##0 \leq r \leq c## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}## define the limits of ##D'##.

Then you want to consider when ##c \to \infty##, so ##D'## becomes infinitely large.

Hmmm, seems good. But the question require using Jacobian determinant.

ahmed markhoos said:
Hmmm, seems good. But the question require using Jacobian determinant.

When changing to polar co-ordinates:

$$dA = \left| J \right| dA' = \left| J \right| dr d\theta = r \space dr d\theta$$

The Jacobian is just ##r##.

Related to Change of variables jacobian limits

1. What is a change of variables in mathematics?

A change of variables in mathematics is a technique used to simplify the evaluation or integration of a mathematical expression or function. It involves substituting one set of variables with another set of variables, often by using a transformation function, in order to make the expression or function easier to work with.

2. What is the Jacobian determinant and how is it related to a change of variables?

The Jacobian determinant, also known as the Jacobian, is a mathematical concept used to describe how a change of variables affects the size and shape of a region in space. It is a multi-variable generalization of the derivative, and can be used to calculate the change of variables in a given transformation.

3. Why is a change of variables important in calculus and other areas of mathematics?

A change of variables is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics because it allows for simplification and generalization of mathematical expressions and calculations. It can also be used to solve complex problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

4. What are the limitations of using a change of variables?

There are certain limitations to using a change of variables in mathematics. For example, the transformation function used must be bijective, meaning it must have a one-to-one correspondence between the original and new variables. Additionally, the change of variables may not always lead to a simpler expression or calculation, and in some cases, it may even make the problem more complicated.

5. Can a change of variables be used in any type of mathematical problem?

No, a change of variables cannot be used in every type of mathematical problem. It is most commonly used in problems involving integrals, partial differential equations, and optimization. However, it may not be useful or applicable in problems that do not involve a transformation of variables or a change in coordinates.