Changing the \subsubsection format in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter middleCmusic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format Latex
In summary, the speaker is seeking a way to change the format of \subsubsection in LaTeX so that the number comes after the word "Definition" or "Theorem." They do not want to use \subsubsection* and instead are considering using \label and \ref for referencing. They suggest looking into the titlesec package for a solution. They also mention making a personal encyclopedia of theorems and definitions and needing to insert new entries between previously recorded ones.
middleCmusic
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find out some way to change the \subsubsection format in LaTeX so that the number comes after the word "Definition" or "Theorem" etc. Now obviously, I could simply use \textbf{} and put my stuff in there and ignore the \section commands altogether, but then I would have to construct my own table of contents, and renumber sections as I insert new ones in between old ones.

So my question is... is there any way to define a new command so that I can type something like this?

\subsubsection{Definition}{function}

and have it come out looking like this

[itex]\text{Definition 1.1.1 } \mid \text{ function}[/itex] ?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Context: I'm making a personal encyclopedia of theorems/definitions/etc as I learn them, and trying to make it totally logically ordered and rigorous, which often involves inventing little lemmas to put in between previously recorded stuff, as many books gloss over important points in their proofs. (Much like what proofwiki does, only numbered with the previous theorems/definitions referenced by number in the proofs.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also clarify that \subsubsection*{} is not the kind of solution I'm looking for, as I'm going to use \label and \ref to reference all of the numbers.. so they have to be numbered.

Look at the titlesec package.

Related to Changing the \subsubsection format in LaTeX

1. How can I change the font style and size of my subsubsection titles in LaTeX?

To change the font style and size of your subsubsection titles, you can use the \titleformat command from the titlesec package. This allows you to specify the font family, size, and other formatting options for your subsubsection titles.

2. Is it possible to change the numbering or labeling of subsubsection titles in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to change the numbering or labeling of subsubsection titles in LaTeX. You can use the \renewcommand command to redefine the format of your section numbering, including subsubsection titles. You can also use the titlesec package to customize the labels of your subsubsection titles.

3. How do I change the spacing between my subsubsection titles and the text in LaTeX?

To change the spacing between your subsubsection titles and the text, you can use the \titlespacing command from the titlesec package. This command allows you to specify the spacing before and after your subsubsection titles, as well as the indentation of the title.

4. Can I change the numbering of subsubsection titles to be alphabetical or roman numerals?

Yes, you can change the numbering of subsubsection titles to be alphabetical or roman numerals by using the titlesec package. You can specify the format of your section numbering by using the \renewcommand command and providing the desired numbering style.

5. How can I customize the appearance of my subsubsection titles in different document classes in LaTeX?

To customize the appearance of your subsubsection titles in different document classes, you can use the titlesec package. This package allows you to specify the formatting options for your subsubsection titles regardless of the document class you are using. You can also use the sectsty package to customize the appearance of your subsubsection titles in specific document classes.