Charge Quantization: Exploring e, Q, g & Weak Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between "charge e" and "charge Q" in QED and QCD. The latter is quantized while the former is not, and is instead a coupling constant. The charge operator in QCD is quantized due to the commutator algebra, but for QED, this cannot be derived. The electromagnetic coupling constant e is quantized due to the argument of magnetic monopoles. For the strong force, the Q^a are quantized, while the "color coupling" is not. In QCD, the color charges of all quarks are quantized, but the color couplings are identical for all quarks. In the electro-weak theory, the same structure is replicated
JustinLevy
I'd like to focus in on some info from a previous thread that seemed too good to pass up https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3156965

tom.stoer said:
My guess was that JustinLevy didn't see the distinction between "charge e" and "charge Q".

tom.stoer said:
One must distinguish between the coupling constant e, g, ... in QED, QCD, ... which could have any value, and the charge Q, Qa, ... as qm generators of U(1), SU(n), ... The latter one is quantized in the sense of the first Casimir QaQa. But how is this related to the coupling constant? The charge operator in QCD is something like

[tex]Q^a = \int d^3x\, g\,\bar{\psi}_i (T^a)_{ik}\psi_k[/tex]

The Casimir operator has a discrete spectrum, but still g is an arbitrary multiplicative constant which is not "quantized"

Yes I was making that confusion, and I'd like to understand this a bit better. I have three questions to follow up if you don't mind.

Is there a technical name for these "charge e" and "charge Q", to help distinguish them? I'm realizing now looking back that I've made this mistake before, and if there are technical terms to help distinguish them it would be great.

For the electromagnetic force, is the "g" coupling the same for all particles, and that is why the "Q" quantization leads to "charge e" quantization? That makes it seems much less mysterious, but then I don't understand why people hope to find a magnetic monopole to 'help explain' charge quantization. Maybe I am missing or mixing up things again.

I never see "weak charges" listed for particles, so this is probably a naive question: Is the "weak charge" (the one equivalent to the "charge e") quantized for the weak force -- Or does the symmetry breaking ruin this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Justin,

I'll try to answer the questions you raised.

'e' or in general 'g' are called 'coupling constants'. Q, or in non-Abelian gauge theories the operators Qa are called 'charges'. For Qa on can derive a quantization rule due to the commutator algebra

[tex][Q^a, Q^b] = if^{abc}Q^c[/tex]

From this relation, which reflects directly the classical algebra, one can derive (again algebraically) that there is "charge quantization" just like angular momentum quantization. But for abelian gauge theories (QED with U(1)) there is no such relation, therefore charge quantization in U(1) cannot be derived from this fact.

For the eletromagnetic coupling constant e there is an argument based on magnetic monopoles that e must be quantized. But this is totally different from the above mentioned considerations.

Last edited:
To see if I understand: So for the strong force, the Q^a are quantized. But the "color coupling" need not be quantized.

But is the color coupling actually quantized anyway (like the electric charge or particles)? Or does each quark have a different color coupling (or would that violate the symmetry)?

tom.stoer said:
But for abelian gauge theories (QED with U(1)) there is no such relation, therefore charge quantization in U(1) cannot be derived from this fact.
Because the electroweak model starts from SU(2)xU(1), and after breaking the generator of the electric U(1) is actually a combination of the original SU(2) and U(1) generators ... does that original "heritage" containing part of SU(2) allow it to get charge quantization for the electric interaction?

Also, since the weak force is a broken symmetry, does this mean its charges aren't properly quantized?

JustinLevy said:
To see if I understand: So for the strong force, the Q^a are quantized. But the "color coupling" need not be quantized.

But is the color coupling actually quantized anyway (like the electric charge or particles)? Or does each quark have a different color coupling (or would that violate the symmetry)?
The couplings are not quantized. The color charges in QCD are quantized; the electric charges of quarks are quantized. The color couplings of all quarks are identical. The coupling in the Dirac term looks like

[tex]\bar{\psi}^i_f\gamma^\mu(D_\mu)^{ik}\psi^k_f[/tex]

with

[tex](D_\mu)^{ik} = \partial_\mu\delta^{ik} - igA_\mu^{ik}[/tex]

and

[tex]A_\mu^{ik} = A_\mu^a (T^a)^{ik}[/tex]

You see that there's a summation over the colors i, k and over the flavors f. There is one single coupling g.

This structure is replicated in QED (where one simply drops i,k) and to the electro-weak theory.

JustinLevy said:
Also, since the weak force is a broken symmetry, does this mean its charges aren't properly quantized?
Roughly speaking all arguments apply to the electro-weak case as well as the algebraic structure is not affected by the symmetry breaking which happens at the level of the state vectors (which we haven't discussed so far), not at the level of the operators.

tom.stoer said:

[tex]\bar{\psi}^i_f\gamma^\mu(D_\mu)^{ik}\psi^k_f[/tex]

with

[tex](D_\mu)^{ik} = \partial_\mu\delta^{ik} - igA_\mu^{ik}[/tex]

You see that there's a summation over the colors i, k and over the flavors f. There is one single coupling g.
Based on how the terms are written there, I don't see why the coupling is necessarily the same for each flavor. Is there something in the math that requires this, or is this just an experimental fact?

If you re-sort the terms you get

[tex]-ig \bar{\psi}^i_f \gamma^\mu A^(ik)_\mu \psi^k_f[/tex]

with a sum over the colors i,k and the flavors f. You see that the gauge field A does not carry flavor (which is natural as flavors are quark-attributes) and that g doesn't, either. If you would now allow for flavor dependent coupling gf you can no longer compensate the local gauge transformations acting on the fermions with a gauge transformation of a flavor-neutral gauge field. So using a flavor-dependent gf would automatically mix gauge and flavor group. Doing this would mean "gauging flavor" and would result in a different theory - which we do not observe in nature.

So "gauge invariance under color-SU(3) and non-gauged flavor-SU(6)" together require that the total symmetry "factorizes" and that color and flavor must not mix. These facts are experimentally verified and mathematically well-understood. So it's the combination of a mathematical principle with the application of this principle to observations = nature which requires this.

Related to Charge Quantization: Exploring e, Q, g & Weak Charges

1. What is charge quantization?

Charge quantization is a fundamental principle in physics that states that electric charge, which is the property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field, is always observed to exist in integer multiples of a single, elementary charge.

2. What is an elementary charge?

An elementary charge is the smallest unit of electric charge that can exist on its own. In quantum mechanics, it is represented by the symbol 'e' and has a value of approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

3. How is charge quantization related to the concept of quantization in other areas of physics?

Charge quantization is related to the concept of quantization in other areas of physics, such as energy and angular momentum, as it also involves the idea of discrete, quantized values rather than continuous ones. This is due to the fact that electric charge is carried by particles, such as electrons, which have discrete energy levels and angular momenta.

4. How is charge quantization experimentally observed?

Charge quantization is experimentally observed through various experiments, such as the Millikan oil drop experiment, which measured the charge of an electron to be a multiple of the elementary charge. Other experiments, such as the measurement of the charge of a proton, also support the concept of charge quantization.

5. What are some real-world applications of charge quantization?

Charge quantization has many practical applications in modern technology. For example, it is the basis for the development of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones, which rely on the movement and manipulation of electric charge. Charge quantization is also essential in understanding and developing technologies related to electromagnetism, such as generators, motors, and power grids.