Checking series for convergence

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Check whether the series ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}{3^{k}}## converges
Relevant Equations
All convergence criteria are allowed
Hi,

I am having problems with task d)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-06 um 18.30.36.png

I now wanted to check the convergence using the quotient test, so ## \lim_{n\to\infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1##

I have now proceeded as follows:

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{3^{k+1}} \cdot \frac{3^{k}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2}##

Unfortunately I can't get any further now, if I form the limit ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2} ## with Mathematica, ##\frac{e}{3}## must come out, unfortunately I don't know how I can show this with my expression, or should I have used a different criterion for the task?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at [tex]
\lim_{k \to \infty} \left|\frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k}\right| = \exp\left( \lim_{k \to \infty} (\ln |a_{k+1}| - \ln |a_{k}|) \right)[/tex] and use [tex]
\ln(1 + x) = x - \frac12 x^2 + O(x^3), \quad |x| < 1[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
Homework Statement: Check whether the series ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}{3^{k}}## converges
Relevant Equations: All convergence criteria are allowed

Hi,

I am having problems with task d)

View attachment 336770

I now wanted to check the convergence using the quotient test, so ## \lim_{n\to\infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1##

I have now proceeded as follows:

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{3^{k+1}} \cdot \frac{3^{k}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2}##

Unfortunately I can't get any further now, if I form the limit ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2} ## with Mathematica, ##\frac{e}{3}## must come out, unfortunately I don't know how I can show this with my expression, or should I have used a different criterion for the task?
Seems you could use that
##Lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{k})^k =e##

Likes Lambda96
WWGD said:
Seems you could use that
##Lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{k})^k =e##

How does that generalize to the case where the exponent is [itex]k^2[/itex] rather than [itex]k[/itex]?

Likes Lambda96
Thank you pasmith and WWGD for your help 👍👍, I have now used the root test, which allowed me to reduce the expression to ##\frac{(1+\frac{1}{k})^k}{3}## and which corresponds to the limit ##\lim_{k \to \infty}## to ## \frac{e}{3}##

Likes WWGD
pasmith said:
How does that generalize to the case where the exponent is [itex]k^2[/itex] rather than [itex]k[/itex]?
Well, Lambda96 used it to solve his problem. I only provide hints, as per PF policy.