Chemistry - Why does Bromine-80 not occur in nature?

In summary, the mass spectrum of Br2 has three peaks (158, 160, and 162), indicating the presence of three isotopes of Bromine. However, further analysis reveals that Bromine-80 does not occur naturally and the peak at 160 is actually a combination of Bromine-79 and Bromine-81 isotopes. The question does not provide enough information to determine why Bromine-80 does not occur naturally, but it is suggested that it may form a molecule with Bromine-79.
OrangeJELL-O

Homework Statement

I had the following question in my chemistry book...

A mass spectrum of Br2 has three peaks, with the mass numbers 158, 160, and 162. Use this information to determine which isotopes of Bromine occur in nature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From this info, I originally hypothesized the isotopes of Bromine to be Bromine-79, Bromine-80, and Bromine-81. However, it turns out that Bromine-80 does not occur in nature and the peak at 160 is the result of a molecule of Bromine-79 and Bromine-81 isotopes. What information from the question am I missing that might hint at Bromine-80 not occurring in nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would happen if a 79 and an 80 formed a molecule together?

Related to Chemistry - Why does Bromine-80 not occur in nature?

What is Bromine-80?

Bromine-80 is a radioactive isotope of the element bromine. It is an unstable atom with a half-life of only 18.7 minutes.

Why does Bromine-80 not occur in nature?

Bromine-80 does not occur in nature because it is a highly unstable isotope. It is constantly decaying into other elements, making it impossible to exist in nature for a significant amount of time.

How is Bromine-80 produced?

Bromine-80 is produced through the process of nuclear reactions. This can occur naturally in the atmosphere as a result of cosmic rays, or it can be artificially produced in a laboratory through the bombardment of other elements with high-energy particles.

What are the properties of Bromine-80?

Bromine-80 has a mass number of 80 and an atomic number of 35. It is a halogen and has similar chemical properties to other elements in the same group, such as chlorine and iodine. It is highly reactive and can form compounds with other elements.

What are the uses of Bromine-80?

Due to its short half-life, Bromine-80 does not have any practical uses. However, it is used in scientific research and nuclear medicine for tracing and imaging purposes. It is also used in certain types of radiation therapy for cancer treatment.