Circuit calculation practice: voltage dividers, series, parallel

skynelson
Hi, I'm teaching Engineering (honors) and want to drill the students on series, parallel resistors in circuits and voltage dividers. does anybody a have a worksheet with lots of samples?
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org

Related to Circuit calculation practice: voltage dividers, series, parallel

1. How do I calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider circuit?

To calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider circuit, you can use the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the first resistor, and R2 is the resistance of the second resistor.

2. What is the total resistance of resistors in series?

The total resistance of resistors in series is simply the sum of the individual resistances. You can calculate it by adding the resistance values of each resistor in the series circuit.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel, you can use the formula 1 / Rt = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 + 1 / R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistance values of the resistors in parallel.

4. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit as more resistors are added?

As more resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance of the circuit decreases. This is because adding more paths for current to flow reduces the overall resistance of the circuit.

5. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total current in a parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V / R) for each individual branch of the circuit and then add up the currents to find the total current flowing through the circuit.