Circuit diagram questions -- 3 Light Bulbs in a 120V circuit

In summary, the speaker is asking for confirmation on the values of A2, A4, A5, and A3, and suggests hiring a lawyer for further assistance. They also mention a change in the playing field, where 150 A should be read as 150 mA. The speaker then asks if the numbers are meant for part a) of the question.
joshqg
Homework Statement
In the circuit shown, all of the light bulbs are identical. a) If the ammeter, A1, reads 150 A when the switch S is open. What do A2,A3,A4,A5 read? b) If the switch is closed what do they read?
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff law
I have A2 as 150, A4 as 150, A5 as 300 and A3 as 0. I just need these answers checked to make sure I’m right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 130
Physics news on Phys.org
joshqg said:
to make sure I’m right.
That's not what PF is for. Hire a lawyer. Better: convince yourself :smile: .

Anyway, there is a question a) and a b). Which do you answer ?

A bulb that draws 150 A will trip a circuit breaker or blow a fuse or start a fire. There is no breaker or fuse in the circuit shown so if you've tried this at home, consider hiring the lawyer that @BvU mentioned. :oldsmile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
:smile: we change the playing field: where it says 150 A, read 150 mA, and proceed with the exercise.
Are the numbers quoted meant for part a) ?

BvU said:
:smile: we change the playing field: where it says 150 A, read 150 mA, and proceed with the exercise.
Are the numbers quoted meant for part a) ?
Ya we're allowed to use mA for this question, just didn't want any confusion.

Related to Circuit diagram questions -- 3 Light Bulbs in a 120V circuit

1. How do I calculate the resistance of each light bulb in a 120V circuit with 3 light bulbs?

To calculate the resistance of each light bulb, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In this case, the voltage is 120V and the current is the total current of the circuit divided by the number of light bulbs (I = I(tot)/3). Once you have the current, you can use the resistance formula (R = V/I) to calculate the resistance of each light bulb.

2. How do I determine the total current in a 120V circuit with 3 light bulbs?

To determine the total current in the circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of the current entering a junction is equal to the sum of the current leaving the junction. In this case, the current entering the junction is 120V, and the current leaving the junction is the sum of the currents through each light bulb. Therefore, the total current in the circuit is 120V divided by the sum of the resistances of the three light bulbs.

3. How do I draw a circuit diagram for a 120V circuit with 3 light bulbs?

To draw a circuit diagram for a 120V circuit with 3 light bulbs, you will need to use standard circuit symbols. The circuit should include a power source (120V), three light bulbs, and wires connecting them. The light bulbs should be connected in parallel, meaning they are connected to the same voltage source but have their own individual paths for current to flow.

4. Can I use any type of light bulb in a 120V circuit?

Yes, as long as the light bulb's voltage rating is equal to or greater than the voltage of the circuit (in this case, 120V). It is important to check the voltage rating of the light bulb to ensure it can safely handle the voltage of the circuit.

5. How do I calculate the power consumption of each light bulb in a 120V circuit with 3 light bulbs?

To calculate the power consumption of each light bulb, you will need to use the power formula (P = V x I). In this case, the voltage is 120V and the current can be calculated using the total current in the circuit (as determined in question 2). Once you have the current, you can use the power formula to calculate the power consumption of each light bulb.