Circuit with resistors. help me please

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unknown currents ig and vg in a circuit with given currents ia and ib. The suggested approach is to assign current variables to each branch and use KCL and KVL equations to solve for the unknowns. The circuit can be simplified by combining series resistances, but that may not aid in the analysis.
LP20

Homework Statement

We are given currents ia and ib, 4A and 2A respectively. We must find ig and vg (tough). I understand how to do b and d easily once I get the unknowns (ig and vg), that's what I need help with.Picture >
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3667/1000943d.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand we need to find what the total resistance is, but I don't know how to simplify. My best bet is to use the formula to transform a resistors in shape of a T into a triangle. But would that work given a current inside the T? and not a resistor? Any ideas where to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you transform the resistors you will lose the given information.To solve the problem,assign a current at every brunch and use KCL at every essential node.

You can simplify the circuit somewhat by combining the series resistances, but that won't help much with the analysis.

Zayer is right, you need to assign current variables through the remaining branches to generate some KCL equations. Below is a picture of the revised circuit.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7576/0208001255.jpg"

The variables vg, ig, ia, and ib with the addition of i1, i2, and i3 gives you seven unknown quantities. You can get four KCL equations from nodes A, B, C, and D shown in my circuit above. Add in three KVL equation around the loops ADCA, ACBA, and DBCD and you'll have seven circuit equations with seven unknowns. Then just sit back and let your linear algebra technique of choice do the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Circuit with resistors. help me please

1. What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used in a circuit to control the flow of current. They resist the flow of electrons and reduce the amount of current passing through a specific part of the circuit. This is important for regulating voltage levels and preventing damage to components.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit with resistors?

To calculate the total resistance of a circuit with resistors in series, simply add the individual resistances together. For resistors in parallel, use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. Can I replace a resistor with a different value in a circuit?

Yes, you can replace a resistor with a different value as long as it is within the acceptable range for the circuit. This may affect the overall resistance and current flow in the circuit, so it is important to choose the appropriate replacement resistor.

4. How do I know what wattage resistor to use in a circuit?

The wattage of a resistor is determined by the amount of power it can safely handle. To determine the appropriate wattage, calculate the power dissipation using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. Choose a resistor with a wattage rating higher than the calculated power dissipation.

5. What are common types of resistors used in circuits?

The most common types of resistors used in circuits are carbon composition resistors, metal film resistors, and variable resistors. Carbon composition resistors are inexpensive and have a wide range of resistance values, metal film resistors have high precision and stability, and variable resistors (such as potentiometers) allow for adjustable resistance.