Clarifying Forum Rules: Can I Reveal My City of Residence?

• Thread starter Hlafordlaes
  • Start date
In summary, when it comes to revealing your city of residence on a forum, it is important to carefully consider the rules and guidelines of the forum. Some forums may allow it, while others may have strict privacy policies against it. Sharing personal information, such as your city of residence, can make you vulnerable to online threats, even if you use a fake name or only reveal your city and not your full address. It is best to follow the forum's rules and avoid sharing personal information, unless there are specific exceptions, such as for networking or job opportunities.
Hlafordlaes
First post, hello everyone.

On many forums there is a New Member Introductions thread usually located in the Forum Feedback section, so I thought I might kick one off here. [Mentors: I did search the forum a bit, but if I missed the dedicated thread for this, pls forgive my noob mistake and just merge this into the proper thread.]

My handle is Hlafordlaes, which is Old English for "lordless," meaning no sworn loyalties. Old English Hlaford is derived from "loaf-guard," as presumably a clan or feudal lord would be the one dispensing the bread. At any rate, for me the handle fits my desire to forswear loyalty to anything but truth and reason.

I am mostly concerned with building an informed world view and debunking my cognitive biases, which in spite of great effort do sort of linger, like a bad cold. I come to PF from another forum which is limited to fewer areas of science, and lacking in a general discussion area, so I am hopeful PF will prove to be a nice improvement. I also like what I've read of the rules, yet hope there may be some small leeway for newcomers who may inadvertently step slightly out of bounds (not that I wish to engage knowingly in any misbehavior).

And one question while on rules: one cannot reveal one's city of residence, is that correct? That's something that might be germane at some point in a general discussion of events around the world, so I'd like that clarified if possible.

I look forward to meeting all the regulars in the forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hlafordlaes said:
And one question while on rules: one cannot reveal one's city of residence, is that correct? That's something that might be germane at some point in a general discussion of events around the world, so I'd like that clarified if possible.

Welcome to the forum.

Up to you. We prefer people to not post their detailed private information and emails, but - for example - it is not a secret I live near Warsaw, Poland. Just be careful to not give out too much, as whatever is posted will stay on server HDD and in people's memory forever, you don't want to regret it one day.

Soon you will be asked about your favorite fish, prepare some non trivial answer to this question.

Great, a new [STRIKE]victim[/STRIKE] member.

Hi Hlafordlaes! :smile:

I'm sure you'll love it here.

Soooooooo, you got a fondness for a special type of fish??

We don't have a dedicated thread for introductions, but people are welcome to start threads to introduce themselves in the General Discussion forum (where I've moved this thread to).

What's with the fish business?

At any rate, it's got to be tuna. My mother raised me on tuna sandwiches in my school lunch bag (quite some decades back.) And if you really want to know, I really dislike most cooked fish, but love sushi. All that, and Maryland soft shell crabs with fresh cooked corn on the cob.

Sushi slapping would be something new.

Borek said:
Sushi slapping would be something new.

Ooh, let's try

*slaps Hlafordlaes with sushi*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

Last edited by a moderator:
Begin the fish slapping hazing.

Hi All,
I am a new member of this forum and excited to be a member of PF forum as I found many informative threats here. I will try to be active here and hope to make some friends also.

Barclay said:
Hi All,
I am a new member of this forum and excited to be a member of PF forum as I found many informative threats here. I will try to be active here and hope to make some friends also.
A very warm welcome, Barclay.

Although I don't usually form part of the welcoming party, I believe that protocol dictates I ask you what is you favourite fish?

Barclay said:
I found many informative threats here

Please report them, as they can be against forum rules.

Dammit! Can't believe that I missed a spammer. My spidey-sense must be on the blink today.

i'm new and i don't know how to post but my question was if i have a giant circular accelerator accelerating a metal slug can i raise the slugs kinetic energy to higher than the energy applied by anyone of the magnets in the accelerator?

schonovic said:
i'm new and i don't know how to post

Click on the "New Topic" button at the top of the list of threads (topics) in a forum. Click on the attached picture to see where this button is. I suggest you use the Classical Physics forum for this particular question.

Attachments

• newtopic.jpg
    newtopic.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 255
i'm sorry to be such a dunce but i had a question, i asked it here and was advised to ask it under the general physics category and everybody seems to be in this elite group that doesen't want to answer with just a simple answer but to answer with examples that give me no clue what the answer to my question is. i described the question in as clear a format as i could but i don't seem to be getting through. I'm not a physicist I'm a science fiction writer that wants to be correct in describing a weapon system on a science fiction spaceship and there is something i just don't know, please help

schonovic said:
i'm sorry to be such a dunce but i had a question, i asked it here and was advised to ask it under the general physics category and everybody seems to be in this elite group that doesen't want to answer with just a simple answer but to answer with examples that give me no clue what the answer to my question is. i described the question in as clear a format as i could but i don't seem to be getting through. I'm not a physicist I'm a science fiction writer that wants to be correct in describing a weapon system on a science fiction spaceship and there is something i just don't know, please help
The reason that people may not have been as helpful as you hoped is that you tagged your question onto to someone else's thread. This is known as thread hijacking and considered rude. Now that you've started your own thread, I'm sure you'll get all the information you need.

Related to Clarifying Forum Rules: Can I Reveal My City of Residence?

1. Can I reveal my city of residence in a forum?

It depends on the forum's rules. Some forums may allow you to share your city of residence, while others may have strict privacy policies that prohibit it. It is important to read and follow the forum's guidelines to avoid any potential consequences.

2. Why do some forums have rules against revealing your city of residence?

Forums may have rules against revealing your city of residence to protect the privacy and safety of their users. Sharing personal information, such as your city of residence, can make you vulnerable to identity theft, cyberbullying, and other online threats.

3. Can I reveal my city of residence if I use a fake name?

Using a fake name does not necessarily protect your privacy if you reveal your city of residence. People can still track you down using other information you share on the forum or through your IP address. It is best to follow the forum's rules and avoid sharing personal information.

4. What if I only reveal my city and not my full address?

Even revealing your city can make you vulnerable to online threats. It is important to remember that the internet is a vast and interconnected space, and people can use small pieces of information to find out more about you. It is best to err on the side of caution and not reveal any personal information.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of not revealing my city of residence?

Some forums may allow you to share your city of residence in specific situations, such as for networking or job opportunities. However, it is always important to carefully consider the potential risks before sharing any personal information on a public forum.