Clasifying semiconductors according their molecular form

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of different types of semiconductors based on their molecular form. It is mentioned that pure intrinsic semiconductors such as Si, Ge, and C can be identified easily. However, the identification of extrinsic type-N and type-P semiconductors becomes more complex when there are no molecules of any element from group IV or when there are multiple compounds involved. The key parameter to consider in classifying these compounds is the valencies of the elements present.
libelec
That's my question: how can I tell, from the molecular form of the compound, if a compound is an intrinsic semiconductor, an extrinsic type-N semiconductor, or an extrinsic type-P semiconductor?

I can tell the pure intrinsic semiconductors: Si, Ge, C (diamond), etc. I know that if I add an element of the group III to a chain of one of these, I'll get an extrinsic type-N semiconductor, and that if I add an element of the group VI, I'll get an extrinsic type-P semiconductor.

But what if I have no molecules of any element from the group IV? How about when I have InSb, or GaAs? And how about when I have more than two compounds, like GaAsSe?

What's the parameter I have to look at to clasify these compounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
hey dats determined only by finding out valencies of the elements in the compound

I would approach this question by first understanding the concept of intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors. Intrinsic semiconductors are pure materials, such as Si, Ge, and C, that have a balanced number of electrons and holes, making them poor conductors at room temperature. Extrinsic semiconductors, on the other hand, are doped with impurities to create an excess of electrons (type-N) or holes (type-P) in the material, making them better conductors.

To classify semiconductors according to their molecular form, I would first look at the chemical composition of the compound. In the case of InSb and GaAs, both are binary compounds made up of elements from groups III and V of the periodic table. These compounds are known as III-V semiconductors and are typically extrinsic type-N or type-P depending on the specific doping element used. For example, InSb is often doped with an element from group VI, such as Te or Se, to create an extrinsic type-N semiconductor.

In the case of GaAsSe, which is a ternary compound made up of elements from groups III, V, and VI, the classification may vary depending on the specific composition and doping. Generally, the compound will exhibit properties of both III-V and IV-VI semiconductors and may have a combination of extrinsic type-N and type-P behavior.

In summary, the parameter to look at when classifying semiconductors according to their molecular form is the chemical composition of the compound and the specific doping elements used. By understanding the periodic table and the properties of different elements, we can determine the type of semiconductor behavior that a compound will exhibit.

Related to Clasifying semiconductors according their molecular form

1. What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are a type of material that have properties in between those of conductors (such as metals) and insulators (such as rubber). They have the ability to conduct electricity, but not as effectively as conductors.

2. How are semiconductors classified based on their molecular form?

Semiconductors are classified into two main categories based on their molecular form: elemental semiconductors and compound semiconductors. Elemental semiconductors are made up of a single type of element, such as silicon or germanium. Compound semiconductors are made up of two or more elements, such as gallium arsenide or indium phosphide.

3. What are the properties of elemental semiconductors?

Elemental semiconductors have a crystal structure and a band gap, which is the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level and the lowest unoccupied energy level. They are also typically shiny and brittle in nature.

4. What are the properties of compound semiconductors?

Compound semiconductors have more complex crystal structures and band gaps compared to elemental semiconductors. They also have higher electron mobility, making them more efficient at conducting electricity.

5. What are some examples of semiconductor materials?

Some examples of semiconductor materials include silicon, germanium, gallium arsenide, indium phosphide, and silicon carbide. These materials are commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells.