Classes on waves, circuits, and stochastic models

In summary, the conversation discusses the math involved in electrical engineering, specifically mentioning classes on waves, circuits, and stochastic models. The use of Maxwell's Equations, complex math, and linear algebra are mentioned as examples of the math used in these classes. The speaker also expresses their enjoyment of using advanced math to solve real-world problems in engineering.
barneygumble742
hi,

i took calc 3 and differential equations. that was about a year ago and i vaguely remember what that's about. I'm thinking about electrical engineering and i heard from many that its math intensive. can someone tell me exactly what math is involved?

i've been told to look into classes on waves, circuits, and stochastic models. can someone tell me the type of math involved with them as well?

thanks,
mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at the math behind Maxwell's Equations, and you'll get a good feel for the E&M math end. Then look at the complex math (real+imaginary) used in filter designs and stability analysis, and look some at general matrix math used in working with systems with many simultaneous equations. Hey, math is one of the fun parts of engineering -- you finally get to do practical things and solve real-world problems using advanced math!

I use a lot of complex math and linear algebra for my circuits class. And I use quite a lot of differential equations for my semiconductors class.

Related to Classes on waves, circuits, and stochastic models

What are waves and how do they behave?

Waves are disturbances that propagate through a medium, transferring energy and momentum without any net movement of the medium itself. They can be categorized as either mechanical or electromagnetic waves, and they exhibit properties such as amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

What are circuits and how do they work?

Circuits are pathways that allow electricity to flow from a power source to a destination. They are made up of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, which control the flow of electrons. Circuits can be either series or parallel, and they follow Ohm's law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

What are stochastic models and why are they used?

Stochastic models are mathematical models that involve random variables and probability distributions. They are used to analyze systems or phenomena that involve random elements, such as stock market fluctuations or weather patterns. They can provide valuable insights and predictions, but they are not always accurate due to the inherent randomness in the system being modeled.

What are some real-life applications of these concepts?

Waves are fundamental to many aspects of our daily lives, from sound waves that allow us to communicate to electromagnetic waves that power our electronic devices. Circuits are used in nearly all electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and appliances. Stochastic models have applications in various fields, including finance, biology, and engineering, to name a few.

How can I apply these concepts in my own research or projects?

The concepts of waves, circuits, and stochastic models are incredibly versatile and can be applied in a wide range of research and projects. For example, you can use the principles of wave behavior to design a communication system, or you can use circuit analysis to optimize the performance of an electronic device. Stochastic models can be used to simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as population dynamics or financial markets. The possibilities are endless!