Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16

In summary, Homework Statement states that in certain situations, it is possible to incorporate friction effects without introducing the dissipation function. The equations of motion for the lagrangian are found, and it is shown that the conserved quantities for the system are affected.
punkimedes

Homework Statement

In certain situations, particularly one-dimensional systems, it is possible to incorporate frictional effects without introducing the dissipation function. As an example, find the equations of motion for the lagrangian ##L = e^{γt} (\frac{m\dot{q}^2}{2} - \frac{kq^2}{2})##. How would you describe the system? Are there any constants of motion? Suppose a point transformation is made of the form ##s = e^{γt/2}q##. What is the effective Lagrangian in terms of ##s##? Find the equation of motion for ##s##. What do these results say about the conserved quantities for the system.

Homework Equations

Lagrange-euler equation ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the lagrange-euler equation, I came up with one equation of motion ##m\ddot{q}+mγ\dot{q}+kq = 0##

Is this correct? I'm not sure where to go from here. Can I solve this for ##q## like a normal second order differential equation? Can I treat ##γ## as a constant knowing nothing about it? If so, the factoring doesn't seem to come out right. (let ##y=e^{rt}##, ##my^2+mγy+k = 0##, then ?)

Also, I'm not really sure what is meant by a point transformation. Does that simply mean replace that factor in the original lagrangian?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello PM, and wecome to PF.

I dug up your exercise (2.14) in the second edition and there it has ##s = e^{γt}q##. Would that have been changed ?

The EL eqn gives you the equation of motion, which I think you found correctly.

Note the exercise wants you to write out the effective Lagrangian for ##s## and then find the equation of motion for ##s##.

Oh, and: yes ##\gamma## is a constant.

Last edited:
Thanks BvU. I should have mentioned I have the third edition. The problem shows in this book exactly as I wrote it. I guess I'm stuck on the first part of the problem. I don't know how to interpret equation of motion from the lagrangian without solving the differential equation, and the equation I've come up with is unfactorable.

punkimedes said:

Homework Statement

In certain situations, particularly one-dimensional systems, it is possible to incorporate frictional effects without introducing the dissipation function. As an example, find the equations of motion for the lagrangian ##L = e^{γt} (\frac{m\dot{q}^2}{2} - \frac{kq^2}{2})##. How would you describe the system? Are there any constants of motion? Suppose a point transformation is made of the form ##s = e^{γt/2}q##. What is the effective Lagrangian in terms of ##s##? Find the equation of motion for ##s##. What do these results say about the conserved quantities for the system.

Homework Equations

Lagrange-euler equation ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the lagrange-euler equation, I came up with one equation of motion ##m\ddot{q}+mγ\dot{q}+kq = 0##
You should recognize this differential equation, particularly if ##\gamma=0##. It might also help to rewrite it as
$$m\ddot{q} = -m\gamma \dot{q} - kq$$ or perhaps use ##x## instead of ##q## so it looks more familiar.

Dear PM, what I meant to express is that you already found the equation of motion (there is only one coordinate, so there is only one equation in this exercise). It looks a lot like F = ma, which is not a coincidence. F consists of two terms, one (-kq) having to do with displacement from q = 0, the other something like -##\beta \dot q## (## \beta = \gamma ##). You are not asked to solve, but to describe the system. How would you describe the system if ##\gamma=0##? What could the other term represent ?

And yes, Herbie wants you to rewrite L(q) as L(s). Work it out and show us...

Related to Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16

1. What is Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16?

Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 is a textbook that covers the fundamental principles and laws of classical mechanics, including topics such as kinematics, dynamics, and energy. It is commonly used as a reference for undergraduate and graduate-level courses in physics and engineering.

2. Who is the author of Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16?

The author of Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 is Herbert Goldstein, a renowned physicist and professor at Columbia University. He is also known for his contributions to the field of celestial mechanics.

3. What are some key topics covered in Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16?

Some key topics covered in Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 include Newton's laws of motion, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics, central force motion, and rigid body dynamics. It also covers more advanced topics such as special relativity and Hamilton-Jacobi theory.

4. Is Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 suitable for self-study?

Yes, Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 is suitable for self-study as it provides a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of classical mechanics. However, it is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and physics before attempting to study this textbook on your own.

5. How does Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 compare to other textbooks on classical mechanics?

Classical Mechanics Goldstein 2.16 is considered to be one of the most authoritative and comprehensive textbooks on classical mechanics. It is often used as a reference or supplemental text in courses, and many other textbooks on classical mechanics use it as a basis for their content.