Classical Mechanics - Tranformations

In summary, the conversation discusses a transformation to a moving frame of reference and how various quantities, such as position vectors, momenta, and forces, are affected by this transformation. It is shown that if certain equations hold in the original frame, they also hold in the new frame. The process of finding the relative position vector and its transformation is discussed, and it is concluded that there is no change in the momenta or forces in the new frame.
teme92

Homework Statement

Consider a transformation to a relatively uniformly moving frame of reference, where each position vector ri is replaced by rli = ri − vt. (Here v is a constant, the relative velocity of the two frames.) How does a relative position vector rij transform? How do momenta and forces transform? Show explicitly that if equations (1.1) to (1.4) hold in the original frame, then they also hold in the new one.

Homework Equations

(1.1) pli = miai = Fi

(1.2) Fi = Fi1 + Fi2 + · · · + FiN = ∑Fij

(1.3) Fji = -Fij

(1.4) Fij = r^ijf(rij)

The r^ is supposed to be the unit vector but I can't get r hat to work.
p=mv
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said rij = ri - rj

As rli = ri − vt, rearranged and got ri on its own and then subbed into rij = ri - rj, giving:

rij = rli - rj +vt

I'm confused about the next part.

v is relative velocity so: v = vi - vj

What does this mean for the momenta and the forces? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:
The r^ is supposed to be the unit vector but I can't get r hat to work.
##\hat{r}## -> ##\hat{r}##

So I said rij = ri - rj
Fine so far.
Now the question asks you to find r'ij.

rij = rli - rj +vt
That statement is true, but not helpful - it mixes coordinates from one frame with coordinates from the other frame.

v is relative velocity
No, you can (and should) look at the absolute velocity in this frame. The position is the only part of the question where relative quantities are looked at.

Hey mfb thanks for the help.

So r'ij = r'i - r'j?

= ... ?

Can you express that in terms of the old rij?

r'ij = r'i - r'j = ri - vt -(rj - vt)

I'm not sure about the r'j as it doesn't specifically say what it is in the question.

i or j as index does not matter, that is just an arbitrary letter.
You can simplify the right side now. The answer will get really short.

So vt cancels and I'm left with:

r'ij = ri - rj

which is the same as rij. So there's no change?

So does this mean there is no change in the momenta or forces also then?

What are the equations that brought you to this conclusion? Guessing does not count.

Well p=mv: m is constant and seeing as r doesn't change the derivative which is velocity will be the same.

F=ma: once again m is constant and a is the second derivative of r, so there should be no change

r (the position coordinate) does change, you directly see this in the problem statement.
What you calculated before was the relative position of two objects.

Ok so going on pi = mivi

v'i= vi - v

but v = vi - vj

so v'i= vi - (vi - vj)

v'i = vj

so p=mvj

Is this correct? And if it is do I just differentiate again to get acceleration for F=ma?

teme92 said:
but v = vi - vj
What is vj?

And where is p'?

And if it is do I just differentiate again to get acceleration for F=ma?
That will work, but you have to find the correct p' first.

Related to Classical Mechanics - Tranformations

What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces.

What are Transformations in Classical Mechanics?

Transformations in Classical Mechanics refer to the mathematical operations used to describe the motion of objects, such as rotation, translation, and scaling.

What is the difference between Galilean transformations and Lorentz transformations?

Galilean transformations describe the relationship between measurements of time and space between two inertial frames of reference, while Lorentz transformations take into account the effects of special relativity on these measurements.

Why are transformations important in Classical Mechanics?

Transformations are important in Classical Mechanics because they allow us to mathematically describe and predict the motion of objects and systems in different reference frames, and to understand the effects of forces on these motions.

What are some real-world applications of transformations in Classical Mechanics?

Transformations in Classical Mechanics are used in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics, to accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are also essential in the development of technologies such as GPS navigation and satellite communications.