Classical Stat Mech with Uncertain Initial Conditions vs. Quantum

In summary, there are several resources available, such as the books "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Introduction," as well as the Wikipedia article, that can provide an overview of the differences between classical and quantum mechanics. These resources can help explain the different predictions that arise from classical and quantum theories.
maverick_starstrider
Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me to a textbook or easy to read paper (or website) that briefly describes/proves the differences here. What I mean is if I do classical (continuous energies) statistical mechanics where my initial state is a volume (greater than or equal to h-bar) and do classical evolution I get a certain theory. What predictions does this make that differ from quantum mechanics which is not simply a hidden-variable theory with incomplete information of the hidden variables. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very broad question, and it would be impossible to answer it in a single post. However, there are several resources available that can provide an overview of the differences between classical and quantum mechanics. One of the best sources is the book "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to both classical and quantum mechanics, and it includes a detailed discussion of the differences between the two theories. Another useful source is the book "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Introduction" by Andrew Whitaker. This book provides an accessible introduction to quantum mechanics, and it includes several sections devoted to discussing the differences between classical and quantum mechanics. Finally, the online encyclopedia Wikipedia has a comprehensive article on the differences between classical and quantum mechanics. This article provides a good overview of the differences, as well as links to further resources for further reading. Hopefully this information is helpful in answering your question.

Related to Classical Stat Mech with Uncertain Initial Conditions vs. Quantum

1. What is the difference between Classical Statistical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics?

Classical Statistical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses classical laws of motion to describe the behavior of large systems of particles. Quantum Mechanics, on the other hand, is based on the principles of quantum theory and describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. How do uncertain initial conditions affect classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

In Classical Statistical Mechanics, uncertain initial conditions do not significantly affect the predicted behavior of a system. However, in Quantum Mechanics, uncertain initial conditions can lead to significant differences in the predicted outcomes of a system due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. Can classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics be used interchangeably?

No, classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics are two distinct theories that cannot be used interchangeably. They have different underlying principles and make different predictions about the behavior of systems.

4. Which theory is more accurate in describing the behavior of systems with uncertain initial conditions?

Quantum Mechanics is generally considered to be more accurate in describing the behavior of systems with uncertain initial conditions. This is because quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles, which can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

5. Can classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics be reconciled?

There have been attempts to reconcile classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics, but a complete reconciliation has not yet been achieved. Some theories, such as quantum statistical mechanics, attempt to bridge the gap between the two theories, but there are still fundamental differences between them.