Colinear points in a vectorplane

In summary: Yes, that would be educational. You can start by looking at the equation of a line and trying to find the points of intersection between the line and the given vectors.
Marcus95

Homework Statement

If a, b and c are coplanar vectors related by λabc=0, where the constants are non-zero, show that the condition for the points with position vectors αa, βb and γc to be collinear is:

λ/α + μ/β + ν/γ = 0

Homework Equations

Dot product
Cross product
Tripple product
Vector equation of a line

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly new to vectors, so I don't really know where to begin.
Firstly, we know that for co-planar vectors, the tripple product is zero: [a,b,c]=0
Then, for the points so be colinear, the "slope" unit vector between them must be equal. Thus if we assume that point βb is in the middle:

ac)/|αac| = ab)/|αab|

From here what I can do is to expand the expressions in terms of the vector components, but this doesn't really bring me anywhere. I guess there should be an elegant solution without having to use components of vectors. Any suggestions where to begin?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many ways to do it. An easy one given the options offered (although not the most intuitive one) is that two vectors are parallel iff their cross product is zero, where we also include vectors with exactly opposite directions as parallel.

Using what's above, can you write the formulas for two vectors that must be parallel for the three points to be collinear?

andrewkirk said:
There are many ways to do it. An easy one given the options offered (although not the most intuitive one) is that two vectors are parallel iff their cross product is zero, where we also include vectors with exactly opposite directions as parallel.

Using what's above, can you write the formulas for two vectors that must be parallel for the three points to be collinear?

Sure! We must have (αac) ⋅ (αab) = 0
If I evaluate it, I am left with: (αa)^2 - αβa*b - αγa*c + βγb*c = 0
from here, I don't know how to continue. I have tried to substitute c from the equation of the plane, which leaves me with:
(α^2ν+αγλ)a^2 + (αγμ-αβν-βγλ)a*b - βγμ b^2 = 0
but I don't know if this brings me any further.

Last edited:
Marcus95 said:
Sure! We must have (αac) ⋅ (αab) = 0
That is a dot product, not a cross product.

Re-write it as a cross product and expand the expression using the distributive law.

After that you can use the first equation in the OP to replace one of the vectors, say c, by an expression involving the other two, and things should then start to cancel out to give you the result you seek.

On reflection, I think it may have been easier to do this using the vector equation of a line instead. But one can never have too much practice with cross products (at least I can't) so let's do it that way first.

Likes Marcus95
andrewkirk said:
That is a dot product, not a cross product.

Re-write it as a cross product and expand the expression using the distributive law.

After that you can use the first equation in the OP to replace one of the vectors, say c, by an expression involving the other two, and things should then start to cancel out to give you the result you seek.

On reflection, I think it may have been easier to do this using the vector equation of a line instead. But one can never have too much practice with cross products (at least I can't) so let's do it that way first.

Thank you very much, I got it!
However, would it be educational for me to try the solution with vector equation of lines as well? How should I start that approach?

Related to Colinear points in a vectorplane

1. What are colinear points in a vectorplane?

Colinear points in a vectorplane refer to a set of points that lie on the same line in a two-dimensional space. This means that the points have the same slope and can be connected by a straight line.

2. How do you determine if three points are colinear in a vectorplane?

To determine if three points are colinear in a vectorplane, you can use the slope formula to find the slope of the line that connects the points. If the slope is the same for all three points, then they are colinear. Additionally, you can also check if the distance between the points is the same, as this would also indicate that they are on the same line.

3. Can colinear points be in a three-dimensional space?

No, colinear points only exist in two-dimensional spaces. In a three-dimensional space, points can be on the same plane but not on the same line, as there is an additional dimension of depth.

4. What is the significance of colinear points in mathematics?

Colinear points have many applications in mathematics, including geometry and linear algebra. They are used to determine the slope of a line, find the equation of a line, and solve systems of equations. They also play a crucial role in understanding vector operations and transformations.

5. How do colinear points relate to vectors?

In a vectorplane, colinear points have the same direction and magnitude as the vector that connects them. This means that the vector can be represented by any two colinear points on the line. Additionally, colinear points can be used to determine the components and operations of a vector, such as addition and scalar multiplication.