Collision of two photons using four-momentum

In summary, the process of two photons colliding to create two identical particles has an invariant four-momentum that is greater than the rest energy of the particles.
sayebms

Homework Statement

Two photon of energy ##E_1 ## and ## E_2## collide with their trajectory at an angle $\theta$ with respect to each other.
a) Total four-momentum before collision?
b) square length of 4-momentum in lab frame (LB)and in center of momentum frame (CM)?
c) 4-momentum of two photon system in CM?
d) After photons annihilate they form two identical particle with mass m. what can we say about the spatial components of their 4-momentum in CM?
e) requirement of this process is that ##\sqrt{E_1E_2}\geq E_{min}##. find ##E_{min}## in terms of rest energy of particles and angle ##\theta##.

Homework Equations

-Conservation of Energy
-Conservation of Momentum
-For a photon square of 4-momentum is zero (light like particle)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at Answer:(assuming without loss of generality that particle 1 is moving in + x direction and the whole motion is in x-y plane)
a)
- The initial momentum for each particle is:
$$p^{\mu}_1=(E_1, E_1,0,0) \\ p^{\mu}_2=(E_2,-E_2cos\theta,E_2sin\theta,0) \\$$
hence the total initial momentum is: $$p^{\mu}_T=(E_1+E_2,E_1-E_2cos\theta,E_2sin\theta,0)$$
b)
- squared length of 4-momentum in lab frame (LB): $$(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{LB}=(E_1+E_2)^2- (E_1-E_2cos\theta)^2-(E_2sin\theta)^2=2E_1E_2(1+cos\theta)$$
- square 4-momentum in COM = square length of 4-momentum in LB (** is it right??!):
$$(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{LB}=(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{COM}=2E_1E_2(1+cos\theta)$$
c)
Now to find the momentum in COM I use the above fact that square of the total four momentum is invariant under frame transformation (again is it right!) and combining this with the fact that the square of 4-momentum of photon is zero we get:
$$p^{\mu}_{1(COM)}=(E',E'_x,E'_y,0)\\p^{\mu}_{2(COM)}=(E',-E'_x,-E'_y,0)$$
-So the total 4-momentum in COM is:
$$p^{\mu}_{T(COM)}=(2E',0,0,0)$$
squaring it and equating to square of total 4-momentum in COM, gives: $$E'^2=\frac{E_1E_2}{2}(1+cos\theta)=E_1E_2cos^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$
As I have the magnitude and I know that $$E'^2_x+E'^2_y=E_1E_2cos^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$
its evident that the two components will have the following form:$$E'_x=\sqrt{E_1E_2}\cos{\frac{\theta}{2}}\cos{\theta'}\\E'_y=\sqrt{E_1E_2} \cos{\frac{\theta}{2}} \sin{\theta'}$$
but here I face a problem. I still don't know $$\theta'$$
Any help or hint is appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think θ was meant in the way you used it. Two photons moving in the same direction should correspond to θ=0, not θ=pi.
sayebms said:
- square 4-momentum in COM = square length of 4-momentum in LB (** is it right??!):
Right.

You can calculate θ' based on the 4-vector of the two-photon system in your lab system.

mfb said:
I don't think θ was meant in the way you used it. Two photons moving in the same direction should correspond to θ=0, not θ=pi.Right.

You can calculate θ' based on the 4-vector of the two-photon system in your lab system.
mfb said:
I don't think θ was meant in the way you used it. Two photons moving in the same direction should correspond to θ=0, not θ=pi.Right.

Can we use the Lorentz boost ti find it? I mean looking for a transformation that makes the spatial components of the total four momentum vanish?

You don't need to know or find ##\theta'## to solve the problem. You already wrote down the four-momentum of the two-photon system in the COM frame — (2E', 0, 0, 0) — and you used the answer for part (d) in your calculations — the three-momentum of the particles are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

vela said:
You don't need to know or find ##\theta'## to solve the problem. You already wrote down the four-momentum of the two-photon system in the COM frame — (2E', 0, 0, 0) — and you used the answer for part (d) in your calculations — the three-momentum of the particles are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
Then how do we do we solve the last part (part d), I thought i was going to need it for determining the minimum energy.

sayebms said:
Then how do we do we solve the last part (part d), I thought i was going to need it for determining the minimum energy.
Thank you so much I have found it. it will be as following:
the four momentum of system after the collision and creation of two identical particle will be:
$$p^{\mu}_T=(2 \gamma mc,0,0,0)$$
now using $$\gamma=1$$ and using the invariance of the square of the total momentum in a reaction we get to the following for minimum energy:
$$\frac{4E_1E_2}{c^2}\geq4m^2c^2 $$ hence $$\sqrt{E_1E_2}\geq\frac{mc^2}{cos\frac{\theta}{2}}$$

have I missed anything?

Related to Collision of two photons using four-momentum

1. What is the four-momentum of a photon?

The four-momentum of a photon is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the energy and momentum of a photon. It is a four-dimensional vector with components of energy and momentum in the three spatial dimensions and time.

2. Can two photons collide with each other?

Yes, it is possible for two photons to collide with each other. However, this collision is different from the collisions between particles with mass. When two photons collide, they do not combine to form a larger particle, but instead, they may simply scatter off each other.

3. How is the collision of two photons described using four-momentum?

The collision of two photons can be described using the conservation of four-momentum. This means that the total four-momentum before the collision must be equal to the total four-momentum after the collision. By using this principle, scientists can calculate the energy and momentum of the photons after the collision.

4. What happens to the energy of the photons after the collision?

During a collision between two photons, the energy of the photons can be transferred and redistributed. Some of the energy may be used to create new particles, while some may be converted into kinetic energy. The total energy of the photons after the collision will still be conserved.

5. Are there any real-life applications of studying the collision of two photons using four-momentum?

Yes, there are real-life applications of studying the collision of two photons using four-momentum. This concept is important in understanding high-energy particle physics and can be used to study the properties of particles and their interactions. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) to detect the collision of high-energy photons in the body.