Combinatorics problem. Discrete Mathematics II

In summary: In the second round, the contestants can be in one of two possible combinations:(A,B) or (B,C).Since (A,C) is the same game as (C,A), which applies to each pair, we should divide by $2^4$.Then, since the table it not important, we should also divide by $4!$.So the number of possible combinations for the second round is:$$\frac{8!}{2^4 \cdot 4!} = 125$$Wow, that's a lot more combinations! (Happy)Yep, the number of combinations for the second round is a lot more than for the first
Mei1
There is a table tennis tournament consisted of 8 participants that is guided by the following rules:

1. Each player plays with every other player for exactly one party
2. If in the i-round there was a party between A and B and a party between C and D, and A and C play In i+1, then in i+1 round B and D have to play too.

In how many different ways can a schedule for all rounds be made, not giving importance to the table on which each player plays?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, Mei! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

A similar post was made http://mathhelpboards.com/advanced-probability-statistics-19/combinations-problem-18376.html.

Last edited:
Mei said:
There is a table tennis tournament consisted of 8 participants that is guided by the following rules:

1. Each player plays with every other player for exactly one party
2. If in the i-round there was a party between A and B and a party between C and D, and A and C play In i+1, then in i+1 round B and D have to play too.

In how many different ways can a schedule for all rounds be made, not giving importance to the table on which each player plays?
Hi Mei! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Let's start with the first round.
We can order the contestants in $8!$ ways.
Since (A,B) is the same game as (B,A), which applies to each pair, we should divide by $2^4$.
Then, since the table it not important, we should also divide by $4!$.
So the number of possible combinations for the first round is:
$$\frac{8!}{2^4 \cdot 4!} = 105$$

Hmm... how about the second round? (Wondering)

Related to Combinatorics problem. Discrete Mathematics II

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a systematic way. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other techniques for solving counting problems.

2. How is combinatorics useful in real life?

Combinatorics has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems related to scheduling, optimization, and data analysis.

3. What are some common techniques used in combinatorics?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics include the fundamental principle of counting, permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. Other techniques include generating functions, recurrence relations, and inclusion-exclusion principle.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations involve arranging a set of elements in a specific order, while combinations involve selecting a subset of elements without regard for their order. For example, the permutations of the letters "ABC" are "ABC", "ACB", "BAC", "BCA", "CAB", and "CBA", while the combinations are "ABC", "ACB", "BAC", "BCA", "CAB", and "CBA".

5. How is combinatorics related to probability?

Combinatorics is closely related to probability, as it provides a way to systematically count the number of outcomes in a probability experiment. Combinatorial techniques such as permutations and combinations are often used to calculate probabilities in various scenarios.