Complex analysis: Counting zeros using the argument principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the number of solutions for a fixed number a in the equation z^5+2z^3-z^2+z=a, with the condition of Re z > 0. The conversation explores using the argument principle to solve the problem, but ultimately concludes that it cannot be applied in this case. The solution is found by translating the area by a small value.
Wingeer

Homework Statement

Gamelin VIII.1.6 (8.1.6)
"For a fixed number a, find the number of solutions of
[tex]z^5+2z^3-z^2+z=a[/tex] satisfying Re z > 0"

Homework Equations

The argument principle relating the change in the argument to the number of zeros and poles of the function on the domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is obviously equivalent to finding the number of zeros of [tex]f(z)= z^5+2z^3-z^2+z-a[/tex]
So we consider the (open) half circle with radius R in the right half-plane. We break it up in two paths, 1) counterclockwise along the boundary of the half circle and 2) the one along the imaginary axis from R to -R. Along 1) we parametrize by:
[tex]z=Re^{it}[/tex] where t ranges from -pi/2 to pi/2. Now the z^5 dominates the polynomial, so the increase in argument along this path is approx. equal to the increase in argument along z^5. The change in argument is therefore 5pi along this path.
Along 2) we parametrize by z=it and get that:
[tex]f(z) = t^2 - a + it(t^2-1)^2[/tex]. Now obviously we have to consider several cases of the fixed value of a, as the roots of the real and imaginary parts are dependent of a. For a<=0 the change in argument is -pi, so that the total is 4pi => 2 zeros in the domain. for a>0, but different from 1, we get that the change of argument is pi, so that the total is 6pi => 3 zeros. For a=1 I am having problems. As t is positive and large, the values of f(z) is in the first quadrant. As the value of t is negative and large the values are in the fourth quadrant, and since t=-1 is origo we get another -pi/2. Now for t=1 the function maps to origo and so the change is -pi/2. For t=0 we get the point (-1,0), and here I am a bit uncertain of the change in argument.
1. Is it zero, since both the starting point and ending point are at the real axis?
2. Is it pi, since it is a counterclockwise rotation along a half circle-ish shape?

However, both of these reasonings are wrong, for the answer to be correct, I need the contribution of this circle-ish curve to be -2pi. I can't get it to work.
Also, second question: If one were to consider a horizontal strip-domain. How would one choose to parametrize it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump/revive from the dead.

Why not use Rouche's Theorem?

One could of course use Rouche's theorem, but this exercise is given in the section before Rouche's theorem. So it is possible to solve it without. Also, I've dived so deep into this exercise that I really want to know what I've done wrong.
Thanks for your answer, though!

Wingeer said:
However, both of these reasonings are wrong, for the answer to be correct, I need the contribution of this circle-ish curve to be -2pi. I can't get it to work.

Ok I got an option for you that you may not like: get the answer first and then fit the analysis to it. That means fire up Mathematica and analyze how the argument changes as you tract the contour for varous values of a. But keep in mind the ordinary Arg function in Mathematica only gives the principal value of the argument so that you have to manually code the analytically-continuous change in argument along the path. So do this for a while, get a feel for how it's changing, then try to justify that result through analytic means.

I actually solved this "theoretically". What I was doing wrong was using the argument principle where it cannot be used. The problem is that the function has a zero on the path of integration, so to say. If one translates the area by an epsilon value everything works out. :)

Related to Complex analysis: Counting zeros using the argument principle

1. What is complex analysis and how is it related to counting zeros?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers. It is used to analyze functions that have complex inputs and outputs. Counting zeros using the argument principle is a technique in complex analysis that involves finding the number of zeros of a complex function within a given region.

2. How does the argument principle help in counting zeros?

The argument principle states that the number of zeros of a complex function within a closed contour is equal to the change in the argument (angle) of the function along the contour divided by 2π. This principle can be applied to count the number of zeros of a function within a specific region by evaluating the argument of the function along the boundary of that region.

3. Can the argument principle be used to count zeros of any complex function?

Yes, the argument principle can be used to count zeros of any complex function that is analytic within a given region. This means that the function is differentiable at every point within the region and has no singularities (points where it is not defined or becomes infinite).

4. What are some applications of counting zeros using the argument principle?

Counting zeros using the argument principle has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to find solutions to differential equations, analyze the stability of systems, and determine the roots of polynomials. In finance, it can be used to analyze stock market trends and predict market crashes.

5. Are there any limitations to using the argument principle to count zeros?

While the argument principle is a powerful tool for counting zeros, it does have its limitations. It may not be applicable to functions with singularities or functions that have infinitely many zeros. Additionally, the contour used in the calculation must enclose all the zeros of the function, which may not always be possible to determine.