Complex Number Division and Addition

In summary, this equation has a term involving Zr on each side that must be moved across to the other side to solve the equation.
Sirsh

Homework Statement

This is not for a mathematics unit but is part of an electrical question I'm trying to solve but I cannot solve this equation. The complex numbers Zp and Zr are both real and imaginary, whereas Xm is purely imaginary.

Homework Equations

Zp = (Xm*Zr)/(Xm+Zr)

Zp = 29.76+j15.72
Xm = j95

The Attempt at a Solution

Zp = (Xm*Zr)/(Xm+Zr)
Zp(Xm+Zr) = (Xm*Zr)
Zp*Xm + Zp*Zr = Xm*Zr
(Zp*Xm)/Xm + (Zp*Zr)/Xm = Zr
Zp + (Zp*Zr)/Xm = Zr

I just do not know how to get Zr on it's own then I can approach solving it, either way i see it will have Zr on either sides of the equation. So even before substituting i feel it is the wrong approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Zp = (Xm*Zr)/(Xm+Zr)
Zp(Xm+Zr) = (Xm*Zr)
Zp*Xm + Zp*Zr = Xm*Zr
When you get to here, you have one term involving Zr on each side of the equation.

Do you know how to move the one on the left side across to the right side?

If you can do that then the distributive law is your friend, and will help you home.

By the way, the fact that the numbers are complex has no effect on the method.

andrewkirk said:
When you get to here, you have one term involving Zr on each side of the equation.

Do you know how to move the one on the left side across to the right side?

If you can do that then the distributive law is your friend, and will help you home.

By the way, the fact that the numbers are complex has no effect on the method.

I have never heard of the distributive law before, but have applied it naturally when doing maths I think.

I can re-arrange the equation and get this I think:

Zp*Xm + Zp*Zr = Xm*Zr

Zp*Xm = Xm*Zr - Zp*Zr
Zp*Xm = Zr(Xm-Zp)
(Zp*Xm)/(Xm-Zp)=Zr

Is this correct? I can then substitute my values into this and solve for Zr?

Yep! :smile:

Related to Complex Number Division and Addition

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is composed of both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", which is equal to the square root of -1. Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add two complex numbers?

To add two complex numbers, you simply add the real parts together and the imaginary parts together. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 4i) = (3+1) + (2i+4i) = 4 + 6i.

3. Can you divide complex numbers?

Yes, you can divide complex numbers just like you would divide any other numbers. To divide two complex numbers, you must first multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, to divide (3 + 2i) by (1+4i), you would multiply both the top and bottom by (1-4i). This would give you (3+2i)(1-4i) / (1+4i)(1-4i) = (3-12i+2i-8i^2) / (1-4i+4i-16i^2) = (3-10i) / (17). Therefore, (3 + 2i) / (1+4i) = (3-10i) / (17).

4. What is the imaginary unit "i" used for in complex numbers?

The imaginary unit "i" is used to represent the square root of -1. It is used in complex numbers to represent the imaginary part of the number. Without "i", complex numbers would not be able to represent numbers that involve taking the square root of a negative number.

5. How are complex numbers useful in real life?

Complex numbers are useful in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to represent quantities that involve both a real and imaginary component, such as electrical currents, sound waves, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial modeling. In addition, complex numbers have applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and optics.