Complex Number Representation in Matlab

In summary, a complex number in Matlab is a number with a real and imaginary part, represented in the form a + bi. To represent a complex number in Matlab, you can use the complex function or the shorthand notation of a + bi. Matlab also has built-in functions for performing arithmetic operations on complex numbers and you can plot complex numbers using the plot function. To convert a complex number to a different representation in Matlab, you can use the cart2pol and pol2cart functions.
mcfetridges
Hey Everyone,

I cannot seem to find an way in Matlab to convert a number which has a real and imaginary part in cartesian form into polar form and then express the polar representation on the output.

Ex.

Convert
z=0.1602932442+0.8277219859*j

Into

0.8431<79.04 deg (without using my calc.)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use abs(z) for the magnitude and angle(z) for the phase of z. Type "help abs" or "help angle" at the prompt for more help on these functions.

for reaching out and sharing your question about complex number representation in Matlab. Here is a possible solution to your problem:

To convert a complex number from cartesian form (a + bj) to polar form (r∠θ), you can use the function "cart2pol" in Matlab. This function takes in the real and imaginary parts of the complex number and returns the magnitude (r) and angle (θ) in radians.

In your case, you can do the following:

z = 0.1602932442 + 0.8277219859*j;
[r, theta] = cart2pol(real(z), imag(z));

The output will be r = 0.8431 and theta = 1.3787 radians. To convert the angle from radians to degrees, you can use the function "rad2deg" which will give you theta = 79.04 degrees.

Therefore, your converted complex number in polar form will be 0.8431∠79.04 degrees.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Happy coding!

Related to Complex Number Representation in Matlab

What is a complex number in Matlab?

A complex number in Matlab is a number with a real and imaginary part, represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. In Matlab, the imaginary part is denoted by the letter j instead of i.

How do I represent a complex number in Matlab?

In Matlab, you can represent a complex number by using the complex function, which takes in two arguments - the real part and the imaginary part. You can also use the shorthand notation of a + bi, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

How do I perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers in Matlab?

Matlab has built-in functions for performing arithmetic operations on complex numbers. These include abs for calculating the magnitude, angle for calculating the phase angle, conj for calculating the complex conjugate, and real and imag for extracting the real and imaginary parts.

Can I plot complex numbers in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot complex numbers in Matlab using the plot function. However, since complex numbers have two dimensions (real and imaginary), you will need to plot them in a two-dimensional space, such as a complex plane.

How do I convert a complex number to a different representation in Matlab?

In Matlab, you can convert a complex number from Cartesian form (a + bi) to polar form (r * exp(j*theta)) using the cart2pol function. You can also convert from polar form to Cartesian form using the pol2cart function.