Complex root for characteristic equation

In summary: When there are complex roots, the theory is that you can find n independent solutions, but n of them are complex (and are conjugates of each other), while the rest (if any) are real. In summary, the general solution for the given equation can be written as a linear combination of two independent solutions, with constants A and B chosen as conjugates of each other in order to construct a real solution. This is based on the theory that for a linear homogeneous differential equation of order n, the general solution can be written as a linear combination of n independent solutions.
aaaa202
Suppose your characteristic equation for the 2nd order equation has complex roots
r+ and r-

These are conjuagtes of each other so the general solution is:

y = Aer+ + Ber-

My book chooses the constants A and B as conjugates of each other for the reason that this constructs a real solution (not very hard to see if you plug A = E + iF and B = E-iF into the equation above).

But my question is: How does my book know that this constructs all possible solutions that are real?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Suppose your characteristic equation for the 2nd order equation has complex roots
r+ and r-

These are conjuagtes of each other so the general solution is:

y = Aer+ + Ber-

My book chooses the constants A and B as conjugates of each other for the reason that this constructs a real solution (not very hard to see if you plug A = E + iF and B = E-iF into the equation above).

But my question is: How does my book know that this constructs all possible solutions that are real?

You forgot to put the independent variable in the exponents. But it's because the general solution has two constants that determine the solution. If y(t) is the solution it's determined by y(0) and y'(0). Your solution also has two constants, E and F. If you know E and F you can find y(0) and y'(0) and vice versa.

Last edited:
The basic theory of "linear homogeneous differential equations of order n" (with real coefficients) is that the set of all solutions forms a vector space, over the real numbers, of dimension n. As long as you have n independent solutions, the general solution can be written as a linear combination of them.

Related to Complex root for characteristic equation

1. What is a complex root for a characteristic equation?

A complex root for a characteristic equation is a solution that includes a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. It is often denoted by the symbol "i" and is used to solve equations that involve squares of variables.

2. Why do we need to consider complex roots for characteristic equations?

Complex roots are needed because they provide a complete solution to an equation, particularly when dealing with quadratic equations. They also allow us to solve equations that may not have real number solutions.

3. How do we find complex roots for a characteristic equation?

To find complex roots, we use the quadratic formula which involves taking the square root of a negative number. This results in the inclusion of "i" in the solution, indicating that it is a complex root.

4. Can complex roots be graphed on a real number line?

No, complex roots cannot be graphed on a real number line because they involve both real and imaginary numbers. They are typically graphed on a complex plane, where the real numbers are on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are on the vertical axis.

5. What is the significance of complex roots in scientific research?

Complex roots are significant in scientific research as they allow us to solve equations in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They also help us understand the behavior of systems and phenomena that involve both real and imaginary components.