Computing the Limit of tan(pi/n)/(n*sin^2(2/n)) as n Approaches Infinity

In summary, I was not able to find a simple way to compute the limit for the function tan(pi/n)/(n*sin^2(2/n)). I was helped by another user who showed me how to use l'Hopital to simplify the limit. However, I found that replacing 1/n with x in the limit helped me see the limit more clearly.
cateater2000
Hi I'm having trouble computing this limit
lim n-> infinity tan(pi/n)/(n*sin^2(2/n))

Any hints would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using the small angle approximations to the sine and tangent (Taylor series - if you're familiar with that)? Otherwise, l'Hopital might come in handy.

"How about using the small angle approximations to the sine and tangent"

not sure about that.

And wouldn't l'hopitals be a little nasty? I don't think it'll work out
(tan(pi/n)/n)/sin^2(2/n)
this has form 0/0 so I apply l'hopitals and get something real nasty that won't simplify. I'll try simplifying it sometime tonight though thanks for your help

These problems can often be done by using known limits to "replace" messy things with simple ones.

For example, you know that the limit of tan(pi/n) / (pi/n) = 1 in this case (I hope!) For your more complicated limit, you could simplify it by pulling the tan(pi/n) off to the left and dividing it by (pi/n), then multiplying the other stuff by (pi/n).

so I'd get (tan(pi/n)/(pi/n))*[(pi/n)/(n(sin^2(2/n))]

I don't really see how that helps.

[(pi/n)/(n(sin^2(2/n))]
Not sure how to computer the limit of that thing.

Any ideas?

Would you agree that, at least, [(pi/n)/(n(sin^2(2/n))] looks simpler than [tan(pi/n)/(n*sin^2(2/n))]?

While this new expression can be simplified somewhat (for instance, pulling the 1/n in the numerator into an n on the denominator), the big thing to realize is you can keep applying the trick I mentioned...

cateater2000 said:
"How about using the small angle approximations to the sine and tangent"

not sure about that.

And wouldn't l'hopitals be a little nasty? I don't think it'll work out
(tan(pi/n)/n)/sin^2(2/n)
this has form 0/0 so I apply l'hopitals and get something real nasty that won't simplify. I'll try simplifying it sometime tonight though thanks for your help

You might be able to see your way through l'Hopital if you replace 1/n with x and look at the limit as x -> 0.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac {x \tan \pi x}{\sin^2 \pi x}[/tex]

thanks hurkyl and tide I was able to compute the limit both ways. You were of great help!

Related to Computing the Limit of tan(pi/n)/(n*sin^2(2/n)) as n Approaches Infinity

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value of a function at a particular point, and is denoted by the symbol "lim".

Why is computing a limit sometimes difficult?

Computing a limit can be difficult because it requires a deep understanding of the function and its behavior, especially as the input approaches the desired value. In some cases, the function may have complex or undefined behavior at the limit point, making it challenging to determine the limit.

What are some common techniques for computing limits?

Some common techniques for computing limits include direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and using limit laws. Other methods such as L'Hospital's rule and Taylor series expansions can also be used for more complex functions.

What are the consequences of not being able to compute a limit?

If a limit cannot be computed, it may indicate that the function has a discontinuity or an undefined behavior at the limit point. This can have significant implications for the function's behavior and may require further analysis or adjustments to the function.

How are limits used in real-world applications?

Limits are used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the speed and acceleration of an object, determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, and analyzing the convergence of series. They are also essential in physics, engineering, and economics, among other fields.