Concentrations of conjugate bases at specific pH levels

In summary, the pKa for the dissociation of H3PO4 is 2.15. What is the concentration of H2PO4-1 (in M) at pH 3.21 if the original concentration of the phosphate was 2.37 M?
Shafty
The pKa for the dissociation of H3PO4 is 2.15. What is the concentration of H2PO4-1 (in M) at pH 3.21 if the original concentration of the phosphate was 2.37 M?

My Attempt:

Key Information:

pH final: 3.21
Initial Molarity of phosphate: 2.37 M
pKa: 2.15

I started with the first dissociation of the weak acid into its proton and conjugate base.
The stoicheometry is as follows:

H3PO4 <-----> H3O+ + H2PO4-

I am only looking at the first dissociation constant K1.

pKa = -log Ka

2.15 = -log Ka = 10^-2.15 = 7.08e-3

-----This is where I am stuck------

When the question refers to the "original concentration of the phosphate", is it referring to the conjugate base or the original acid? When I try to set up an "ICE table" plugging the given molarity into the "Initial" conjugate base column, I end up with too many unknowns and can not solve quadratically. Yet when I plug the Molarity into the [HA] column I get values that do not make sense. I understand that:

Ka= [H+][A-]/[HA]

If I gloss over this middle step I can continue to find the concentration of H2PO4- ions in the final solution. Since the first dissociation is 1:1, the concentration of H+ ions will be the same as the concentration of H2PO4- ions. Therefore:

pH = 3.21 = 10^-3.21 = 6.17e-4 M

I feel like I am missing a crucial part of this problem (obviously, since my attempts have yielded wrong answers). I have solved for the original pH of the solution at 2.37 M (0.89), I just don't know how to pull all the pieces together to solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem isn't very clear, unless they mean they initially started with [tex]PO_{4}^{3-}[/tex] in solution. If that's the case you need a few more constants. (and it seems a little early in the semester to be working with competing equilibria, so I suspect it's not that.)

The concentration of [tex]H^{+}[/tex] may not be the same as the [tex]H_{2}PO_{4}^{-}[/tex] concentration if the pH was adjusted to 3.21.

I would try "initial phosphate concentration" [tex]=[H_{3}PO_{4}]+[H_{2}PO_{4}^{-}] [/tex] and see what the quadratic equation gives.

Last edited:
As PhaseShifter suggests, treat 1M as a total concentration of all forms of pohosphoric acid.

No need for quadratic though. Take a look here:

acid base titration indicators

Don't pay attention to the fact it describes indicator, formula derived works for ANY acid.

--

Related to Concentrations of conjugate bases at specific pH levels

1. What is the relationship between pH and the concentration of conjugate bases?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity or basicity, and it is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions present. The higher the pH, the lower the concentration of hydrogen ions and the more basic the solution. As pH increases, the concentration of conjugate bases also increases.

2. How does the concentration of conjugate bases change with increasing pH?

As the pH of a solution increases, the concentration of conjugate bases also increases. This is because as the solution becomes more basic, more of the original acid molecules dissociate and form conjugate bases. This results in a higher concentration of conjugate bases in the solution.

3. Can the concentration of conjugate bases be calculated at a specific pH?

Yes, the concentration of conjugate bases can be calculated at a specific pH using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the acid dissociation constant (Ka) and the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base.

4. How does the strength of the acid affect the concentration of conjugate bases at a specific pH?

The strength of an acid determines how easily it dissociates in water. Strong acids will dissociate almost completely, resulting in a higher concentration of conjugate bases at a specific pH compared to a weak acid, which will only partially dissociate and have a lower concentration of conjugate bases at the same pH.

5. What is the significance of knowing the concentration of conjugate bases at specific pH levels?

Knowing the concentration of conjugate bases at specific pH levels is important in understanding the behavior and reactivity of acids and their conjugate bases. It also allows for the prediction of how a solution will behave under different conditions and how it may interact with other substances.