Conductive material also UV transparent ?

In summary, the conversation was about the search for an electrically conductive and UV transparent material. One person suggested beta Ga2O3, while another recommended using a material properties reference text or searching scholarly articles and databases. The purpose of the search was speculated to be for an energy harvesting array.
Hi all,

For a while now I have been searching for an electrically conductive material which is also UV transparent.

Anyone here has come across such a material (solid or liquid) ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi,

I am not deeply familiar with electromagnetic and optical properties of materials (But, I am taking a course currently). Anyway, I just did a little googling and found this article (doi:10.1016/S0040-6090(02)00202-X) on beta Ga2O3.

I think what you may want to do in order to increase the number of materials found that are both electrically conductive and UV transparent is to find a good material's properties reference text, search around for scholarly articles, and/or try searching the Knovel database (if you have university access).

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for a material with these specific properties? I am going to guess for some sort of energy harvesting array (among other possibilities).

Best of luck.

All conductors become transparent somewhere in the UV at the so called plasma frequency.

Related to Conductive material also UV transparent ?

1. What is conductive material and why is it important?

Conductive material is any substance that allows electricity or heat to flow through it easily. It is important because it is used in various applications such as electronics, power transmission, and heating systems.

2. What are some examples of conductive materials?

Some examples of conductive materials include metals like copper, aluminum, and silver, as well as carbon-based materials like graphite and graphene.

3. What does it mean for a material to be UV transparent?

A material that is UV transparent allows ultraviolet (UV) light to pass through it without being significantly absorbed or scattered. This means that the material does not block UV rays and can be used in applications that require UV light to pass through, such as UV sterilization or UV light sensors.

4. Can a material be both conductive and UV transparent?

Yes, there are certain materials that exhibit both properties. For example, indium tin oxide (ITO) is a commonly used material in electronic devices that is both conductive and UV transparent.

5. What are some potential uses for conductive, UV transparent materials?

Some potential uses for these materials include touch screens, solar cells, UV light sensors, and UV sterilization devices. They can also be used in the production of conductive coatings for windows, which allows for both natural light and electricity to pass through.